Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Heh. My Nigger.

I mentioned Barracuda, one of the few Punisher villains to make a return appearance, earlier. He's got his own mini-series from his creator, Garth Ennis, now and I figured I'd toss it a plug. It harks back to the early black humor infused stories of Ennis's Punisher run. And it's about as distasteful and filled with gross out tactics as you can imagine – the latest issue features a pedophile Catholic priest trying to have sex with a hemophiliac, for example, after thinking about how he'd “burst”. Lots of sex, lots of violence, lots of gross stuff. Not for everyone. But, hey, it's Ennis doing a gigantic black stereotype, what do you expect? Dude has gold teeth that read “Fuck You”, I'm saying. If you can appreciate the sublime humor there and enjoying seeing just how far Ennis can push the boundaries of good taste, it's a pretty nice read. Although it's not quite finished yet so you never know how it'll turn out and how all the threads being laid out will be woven together. But I've been pretty pleased with the slow burn of the setup so far.

No comments: