Friday, June 29, 2007

Oh, Like I Have Time To Come Up With a Title

Hey, Mr. Yglesias sez the Bush administration is underfunding a vital governmental agency designed to protect us all. It's not like I'm surprised or anything. But maybe I was hoping they'd treat nuclear proliferation a little more seriously than, say, picking up after Katrina.


The problem, of course, is that programs like the IAEA succeed by not failing. They can't point to the cases where their diligent efforts at keeping the bomb out of someone's hands have yielded amazing results because their whole point is to make sure nothing happens. And it's hard to point to what countries don't have as proof. So, it makes it easy to ignore them, hard to judge what impact they have, but I don't know about you but I sleep safer at night knowing someone's out there at least trying.

No comments: