Thursday, June 7, 2007

Bareback Writing

Motherfucker. I should have switched scripts a loooong time ago. I got 2k just out of jotting down the barebone flow of the plot alone.


We are flying.


We are soaring.


We are scraping the clouds and making love to the sun.


We are prone to hyperbole.


Seriously, though, I think I made the right choice. Although I spent most of my time tonight relaxing and plotting new and inventive ways to smack talk anyone unfortunate enough to be caught in a word war with me, I did get some nice work done. I'll get to detailing things tomorrow, hopefully. In the meantime guess which plot I decided to run with?


Today's aggregate word count, by the way, almost 7.5M. Gazebo but that's a lot. Sadly, I had to take my 5k out of that total since I switched scripts but, you know, drop in the bucket. We are cranking this mother out like we was up in a scriptorium, son!


Sorry, I shouldn't do that. I'm whiter than corrective fluid.


Anyhow, a little more on StormWatch: PHD, in case you're not convinced by my awesome reviewing prowess (Quick flashback: “It's...um... a really nice book. That's really great. I like it bunches!!!” Sigh, word count, not word quality...). I R Teh bad blogg R b cuz I forgots 2 inklud linK 2 official site. Me am sorry now. I also apparently slipped into Bizarro speak there. Anyhow, the bad part about a lesser comic from a smaller line like WildStorm (And, yes, I'm officially sick of typing that out by now. The only way it could be more to the extreme is if it had a goatee stapled on each and every cover.) is that it can be devilishly hard to track down information about it. Oh, sure, you can go online and find reams of information about Jimmy Olson's third date with Lucy Lane – in the, now classic, Action #352, “Attack of the Giant Radioactive Pimple Popper” or whatever. But, oh, just try and find something about an obscure minor villain called “Monstrosity”.


Anyhow, here's a preview of issue #1, aka sucky talky too much head hurt issue, over at Newsarama. And here's a review of that same first issue over at the X-Axis. Like Mr. O'Brien, I felt the first issue was a little too much of a formal exercise – bouncing around a plot point - rather than a real introduction to the characters. But having read through the first seven issues or so, the book goes on to develop those characters and its promising concept rather effectively. As he suspected, it's turned into more of a special forces team than a police procedural but it's drawing on things like CSI and Hill Street Blues as much as it is from, I don't know, Alias or Delta Force. And whatever minor flaws in execution exist they're more than outweighed by the strength of that blazing concept. Mr. O'Brien evidently feels much the same as here's a capsule review of StormWatch: PHD #7, the last issue I read. He calls it both “thoroughly enjoyable” and “sadly overlooked” while confirming my fears that the book isn't selling very well. Ah well, what can you do?


Ducks, as expected, won the Cup. 6-2. I'm too apathetic to even make fun of them right now. Just make up your own joke about a ragtag team of scrappy yet precocious young kids overcoming all odds in the best of Disney traditions, please.



Oh, right... life much better at the moment. Creaking. But not collapsing.

No comments: