Saturday, June 2, 2007

Progress!

Not much has been made, really. I did manage to get a hell of a lot of blogging done, although it won't pay much dividends today. But, as for the Frenzy, I don't know. I'm not really feeling very confident. I'm not sure I like my script idea (If you'll remember, I selected one from three potentials. And you don't even want to know how many more ideas I have bouncing around my ideas.) I'm not sure I'm writing very well. I'm not sure I'm interested in continuing with this particular script. I might just want to switch to something else.


The idea I really want to write about, right now, is one I can't because I went and wrote a little bit of it already. Just to get used to writing a script in advance because, again, I've never done it before. But, according to Script Frenzy rules, you can't work on your script in advance of the competition. So, I'm screwed. It's probably for the best since, although I'm interested in it, I'm interested because it's the sort of horrible complex and convoluted idea that I normally let run away with my writing. I'm trying to actually finish my script this month, not just get to 20k words and pat myself on the back. So the sort of grand, moving, war time opera I want to tell is not going to help me there.


I did get some work done on my script, although I'm leaving my word count bare for the moment. I really don't count my words up minute by minute or even day to day (At least not until the finish line gets close). I'm guestimating I have around .75~1k of pure script so far. Most of my work went into further fleshing out my outline/story bible (Which is a lot larger than my script at the moment.). My main problem at the moment is I can't tell, exactly, what year I want to set this story in. It's a coming of age plot set sometime in the 90s, the early 90s, but nailing down the exact date is proving troublesome. And that date would be important to the overall plot, of course, depending on what it actually is, it's a matter of picking which date and which plot direction I want to head in. As always, my problem isn't getting started, it's getting focused. I think I'm close, though, as I've whittled it down to two major choices that I'm going to research carefully before coming to a decision.


I put some work in building up some scenes and character details about my main character's older brother. I'm planning to work in “arcs”. Distinct story units which I'll be able to break up and piece together into a coherent plot line. So, it'll be less a set line of rising and falling actions and more of a series of vignettes arranged around a central theme (Somehow crammed into the 3 Act structure by the main plot arcs, I hope.). And I had a few ideas about that older brother I wanted to get down. I'm also probably going to include another older brother, this one around 15 or so, who'll be learning to drive to add yet another thread to carry throughout the story. But, mostly, I worked on what I call the “yardwork” arc. Or, the one that makes sure I'll never ever be able to film this movie.


I dunno, maybe I'm upset because I haven't nailed the “Bunny Holocaust” yet. I'm going to have to rewrite that one a bunch, I think, but that usually makes it better.


Or maybe I'm just overthinking things (You think?). I'm not really into the free flowing, free moving spirit of the pen that embodies NaNo/Frenzy yet. Tensing up because I've been looking forward to this and I want to do it right. And, you know, I'm not sure I can. Still, a quick look around the Frenzy boards (I really have to drop some posts there and connect with people. But I've been too busy writing today to get it done.) has renewed my vigor somewhat. I'm going to put on my miner's hat and get back to digging, I think. I'll find what I'm looking for yet.


Big Pistons game tomorrow. Don't know if that'll be good or bad for my word count but, at this point, I'm pretty much obligated to watch for whatever small mojo I might bring to the proceedings. Hopefully, I'll have time to get my thoughts down on the matter tomorrow but, in brief, while I think the saving grace of the series, as far as the Pistons are concerned is the pucker factor - they were in this same spot last year and managed to turn the tables on Cleveland and they haven't forgotten it - and the Cavs and LeBron are due for an emotional let down after Game 5's double OT theatrics, the Cavs have matured with leaps and bounds over this series. This isn't the same team that lost a 3-2 lead last year and I'm pretty sure they're going close it out.


Okay, not so brief, then.


Edit before I hang it up: I'm weak. I checked my word count. I had to. But you know what it was at? 1337. That's just how I roll, player. Okay, I'm done for the night.

No comments: