Sunday, January 21, 2007

This Weekend Tests My Patience

Another day of not doing what I want to be doing, basically. I think if this weekend's made anything clear it's that I need to find a guild. Which, yeah, another commitment to drain away my time and energy and distract me from what's important is just what I need right now. Because, see, I'm not the type of person who just joins something like that and sits there doing nothing. I'll be playing and posting and helping people out and whatever else I can do. Not because I want to ingratiate myself but because I just wouldn't be me if I wasn't giving as much back as I was getting out. Because, that guild would be my team and that's what good teammates do. To me, anyway. I'm, of course, insane.

And appearances to the contrary, I'm trying to keep Guild Wars just a part of my life and not the totality of it. Really, it's just supposed to be a hobby I can play with occasionally. I just, you know, play to win. I just know that joining a guild will be taking another step towards completely losing myself to the game. Again.

Beyond that, finding a guild is annoying. It's like applying for a job. You have to find the guild that's a good fit for you. Have to find people who'll be playing at the same time you will and so on and actually have room. Then you actually have to get them interested in having you as a member. It's a hassle. And, of course, it's one I've been fortunate enough to avoid in the past. I don't think I've ever applied, as such, to any guild. I've always just been drafted into them by going along with the flow. People have asked me to join rather than the other way around, in so many words, and while that does wonders for the ego it doesn't make me very inclined to go out on a limb and get rejected because, let's face it, I suck at present.

And I suck largely because I've been playing by myself. If I was in a guild I'd have people to learn from and discuss things and all the rest. I need to practice, in so many words. so I can get good enough to have people to practice with. Bleh. The whole practice just turns me off. Even before you get into the drama of actually being in a guild.

Anyhow, today I mostly played around with Ritualist builds in the Arena. I've avoided the profession because it doesn't really appeal to me so, of course, once I figured out that I was overlooking it entirely, I just had to try it out again. And, yeah, that means I switched roles again. A Rit today, Warrior the day before, a Blinding ele the day before that, and so on. It's not exactly something I'd recommend to other people looking to learn the game - stick with one class and learn it pretty well before you start to branch out. But you're talking to someone who once solicited builds from the community to test out and would run through several in a day before finding one interesting enough to report on. I like to run different stuff and new combinations and see how the various roles are actually played and all that.

Lotsa faction but still no glad points. Those are best gotten through TA, though, and not the RA I've been concentrating on because of the aforementioned suck factor.

I'm going to give it a try again tomorrow and we'll see. I'd like to get one single fame point this weekend at least. But at this point I'm not too excited about my chances. Afterwards, I think I need to take a break from, well, a lot of things.

I know I missed the weekend wrap last week and we're probably going to miss it again this week. Just a warning.

Outlook. Guild drama. Sigh.

No comments: