Friday, January 12, 2007

Some Notes from the Tech Boys

Still haven't managed to track down the problem with the RSS feeds that I was alerted to the other day. As I said then the feed gets to me just fine and I'm not sure why anyone else would be having difficulty with it. If there's anyone out there who's having similar troubles let me know and I'll see what I can do about it - keeping the customers happy is job one around here so when you're not getting the service you want, I'm not happy. Keeping in mind, you know, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Trying to get up to speed on this whole RSS thing, though, has been illuminating.

In other news, I've switched off comment moderation and installed word filters. Sadly, no one's risen to the bait and tried to throw some flames my way so catching them in moderation's been quixotic. Have been getting a lot of comment spam from advertisers whenever I switched it off, though, so I've left it in place to shield your precious eyes against that. As I usually find with boards and other places, a moderation queue just causes more work than it saves. If anything slips through that I don't approve of, rest assured, I'll blam it into nothingness. But as much as I personally dislike word filtering (I think it adds another unnecessary step on the part of the commenter and when you're trying to encourage them to participate I think that's a good way to get more of them to opt out rather than in.) I have to admit it works. So I'm going to give that a whirl until I can find something different.

I also switched the archives from monthly to daily. No real reason beyond I wanted to track down what I was writing at a specific timeframe. They do help organize things a lot better especially given how many posts I tend to make. But I returned to monthlies as I found I kept trying to increment my post count (I'm a gamer - I can make a game out of anything. Especially when someone's keeping track of the score.) just a bit too much and quality was starting to suffer. We'll see how that goes as well.

As always, if you've got any feedback or a better way of doing things, I'd love to hear it.

No comments: