Friday, January 12, 2007

NFL Playoff Predictions – Week Two

Went 3-1 last weekend in predicting the NFL playoffs (I posted my predictions for public inspection a bit late so you'll just have to take my word for it that I guessed the first two games correctly. Trying to get them up nice and early this time.). Didn't do so good predicting the BCS title game, though. But I'm getting right back to it with my picks for this upcoming weekend's games. Now, I don't care about scores or betting lines because all that matters is who wins and who loses (Besides, there's an average score for all pro football games – forget exactly what it is but it's like 24-14 - that if you pick it everytime you'll be correct a lot more often than you will through random or even informed guessing. If you really want to know what I think the scores will be this weekend then just consider it as if I picked the average score and I'm playing the odds.). And all I care about is figuring out which team is going to beat the other one. So, here goes:


Saturday Game One: Ind vs BalBaltimore.

Just as I'd always back Brady because he's gotten it done in the past, I'm just not goign to be sure about Manning because of the way he's folded in the past - great regular season stats and all but hasn't proven he can win when it counts. The defense was amazing last week and might be on a tear to prove themselves - millionaires being disrespected, the athlete's favorite motivation - and could well carry this game. But I think last week was an aberration and they'll return to form. Baltimore's defense will blunt Indianapolis's offense enough and their offense will find just enough points to win.

Saturday Game Two: Phi vs NONew Orleans

Brees is amazing, saw him play more than a few times in the Big 10. And that whole "America's Team" thing the Saints have going for them means picking against them is letting the terrorist win. Or something. So, even though wmd is going to hate me for it I have to ignore the Ewing Theory and the resurgent Eagles to go with New Orleans here.

Sunday Game One: Sea vs Chi - Seattle

The popular consensus here is for da Bears. So, of course, I'm going with the Seahawks. They've been on a mission after last year's playoffs and they're getting back to where they think they belong - they'll be up for this game. That's in contrast to the usual trajectory for a Super Bowl loser which is, after all, usually straight back down to earth. Still, I think Chicago's been overrated thanks to the weaker conference they play in and the dismal competition in their division (They play in the Norris, er, Black and Blue with the Lions. A peewee football team gets at least two wins a season against them. Throw in the sinking Vikings and Farve-locked Packers and it's easy to pad the record a bit.). Not that the Bears aren't good they're just not as good as they've been made out to be - a long way from the second coming of the Monsters of the Midway. And I fully expect Grossman to explode and cost them this game somehow. And, no, I'm not saying this just because ANet's based in Seattle and I want to score brownie points.

Sunday Game Two: NE vs SDNew England

Again, I never go against Brady. Not in the playoffs. He's so money, it's unbelievable. His all-time record is 11-1. It's sacrilege but that's Montana territory (And his other stats match up favorably, too. With, I'll add, probably a much worse supporting cast. Nice guy, too. Had some friends who took classes with him and the whole public persona thing isn't an act - that's just a Michigan man, folks.). I ride New England until they prove me wrong. That means voting against the "best" team in the land, the Chargers. Tomlinson (And you'll excuse me but there's only and ever will be one LT) and Rivers are awesome, the defense is clicking, so where, exactly, can I find the flaw that gives me the shelter to make this pick? The coach. Schottenheimer's one of the biggest chokers when it comes to the playoffs - just can't handle the pressure, I guess and his temas win in spite of not because of him. He'll find some way of throwing the game to Bellichek and Brady. And they're good enough to take advantage if they can keep it close.


If you'll notice there are two big factors I look at with teams. And that's the quarterback and how clutch the team, as a whole, is. I'll take a proven quarterback on a tested team over one with gaudy stats and a fat record that's never been challenged any given Sunday.

No comments: