Monday, January 8, 2007

I Really Need to Write Less

I work much better when I don't ramble on. For instance, it took me roughly 3000 words in this post to say the following:

The new ladder format is bad because there's no way to deflate ratings. If there's never going to be another reset then the points are just going to pile up. Which makes the ladder a place for teams that have been good in the past to brag about how good they were not an accurate measure of how good they actually are at the moment. Making it persistent makes it no different from fame or experience points. Because they can be gained over any period of time they're worthless as an indicator of skill. They are, of course, the only way of objectively measuring a player's skill, though, and people rely on them for recruiting or grouping and even guesting (Until, anyway, we have more statistical metrics to use). And unless tournaments are amazing then we're heading for a time when not only will the Champion titles mean nothing but there'll be players who'll refuse to play for any guild with a rating of less than 1300 or 1500 or 2000 or whatever it is the way they refuse to play with anyone less than rank 3 or 6 or 9 in Tombs.

That, by the way, is. not. a. good. thing.

Not if you're trying to attract customers and players to the game and to the PvP scene. And not when the only options for more casual PvP are so wretched. Seriously, I've written odes to how much I love the Snowball Fights and Random Arena but when even I'm getting fed up with the botting and other flaws then you have a problem.

Because while I'd like to think I'm unique demographically speaking I'm probably a very good representative of the sort of people who love the game and have been forced out of it for whatever reason. I'd love to come back. I've tried to in the past. Multiple times. But many hurdles in my path keep getting higher as the rich, in skill and skills both, get richer. I'm lucky enough to have connections and smart enough to exploit my many networks so I'll find games and opportunities to guest - if, of course, I can be arsed to put in the effort. And with enough time and practice I'll get to the point where I think I can play. But the game doesn't make it any easier for me. If you want to know why it seems like fewer people are playing and it's the same faces that dominate the ladder season in and season out, well, there's your answer.

Playing to an established base isn't a good strategy. Not for continued success, anyway. Especially if you don't have any way of inviting new people into that group and, instead, work to create an exclusive scene that rewards only the faithful.

No comments: