Saturday, March 31, 2007

Celestial Tournament: Ack!

Lemming isn't the only one who thinks my picks are the result of consuming too much cough medicine and/or peyote. And, you know, I'm having second thoughts. The Xunlai House is open to reshuffling my choices until, I think, two hours before the matches are scheduled to start so I could change things around but I promised myself that I'd make my picks and lock them in. So, you know, I wouldn't be having existential crises about them and scramble at the last minute only to find I'd missed the deadline and all. Not at all like I'm doing now, mind.

That doesn't mean I can't consider a few other scenarios, though. As I said in my predictions, the biggest stretch is imagining [acid] is going to take down not one, but two one-loss teams. I think the short time frame of the first few rounds makes this possible but, you know, that doesn't make me right. So, here's another way things could tumble out:

Round One:

  • #1 [EW] over #16 [SpNv]
  • #2 [iQ] over #15 [LaG]
  • #3 [MH] over #14 [one]
  • #4 [wR] over #13 [iPod]
  • #5 [tag] over #12 [acid]
  • #6 [eF] over #11 [SiN]
  • #10 [OUT] over #7 [RUS]
  • #8 [Vibe] over #9 [Meow]
I call this very boring as only one higher seed loses.

Round Two:

  • #1 [EW] over #8 [Vibe]
  • #2 [iQ] over #10 [OUT]
  • #3 [MH] over #6 [eF]
  • #5 [tag] over #4 [wR]
Again, yawn. But, wait. Um, those are some good teams left to fight it out.

Round Three:

  • #1 [EW] over #5 [tag]
  • #2 [iQ] over #3 [MH]
Could it be? The #1 and #2 seeds battling it out for the title? Inconceivable!

Finals

  • #2 [iQ] over #1 [EW] (2-0)
Down goes [EW]! [iQ] takes it! [iQ] takes it! Oh, the fans are pouring onto the field. It's sheer pandemonium here in the Great Temple. (Insert joke about iQ unmasking to reveal they were actually ten of the sixteen teams in the elimination rounds here.)

And before I go, I should issue my soon-to-be standard disclaimer. I am a scrub and I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

No comments: