Saturday, March 3, 2007

Le Blargh

Missed posting yesterday but, in my defense, I'm deathly ill with a cold. Alright, by deathly I mean mildly and being a whinny baby about it but I'm sick and tired and sick of being tired. And, I spent most of the night GvGing away to get in some practice before the next round of the tournament. We finished up well past the point where I should have been awake but with my coughing and all, it's not like I was going to get much sleep anyway and it took so long to get enough people that I wanted to get at least some matches in before calling it a night. There really aren't that many people in OoX so it's sometimes difficult to get the tourney team on at the same time – and we've been having problems with that lately (Now, getting everyone together so we can stand around and wait for a no-show for two hours, that we can do. But actually play? Yeah...). We ended up running an interesting build that someone (who apparently no longer blogs...) ripped from observer mode. It was much more offensively minded than we're used to running (Which, I'd submit is a good thing) as it sacrificed active defense for sheer face raging goodness. I found myself back on a weapon rit as I often do when we're running the Eurosplit but rather than being a mini-Monk, I found myself passing around goodies like Weapon of Fury and Warmonger's.


In the end, we wound up going only 1-2 on the night with two matches dragging long into VoD before we called it a night. But I think it was a successful night anyway. For one thing, as long as we get our tournament roster together and playing it doesn't matter what we're doing. We could roll up eight Spell Slashers for all I care. Because more important than what we're running is how we're doing as a team. And learning how to communicate and co-ordinate with those other players is something that takes time. So, while we might not have a good record to show for it, we're at least learning how to identify our flaws and shore up our weaknesses. And by switching builds we get out of that comfort zone of always being in the same role with the same skills. That helps us to analyze and adapt faster which is a good thing in the tournament environment. It's an investment, then, that we're hoping will pay off with improved play down the line I know I'm getting stronger and better as a player the more matches I have under my belt and the team as a whole benefits in a similar way.


Anyhow, I'm sick and I don't know if I'll be better tomorrow. But, I'm still going to be in game tonight and working on things for the tournament. If enough people from the guild show up, too, then we'll get some matches in. And if not, well, there's always RA or guesting around.

No comments: