Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mind Blast From the Past

Here's something in my notes from way, way back in the Guru days: What's the point? I could take a few thousand words to explain something that the good people already know. And the people who need to know it won't understand. Throw in the fact that I was barely understanding things myself and, yeah, pretty easy to see why I flaked out in retrospect.


Trying something today. Shorter posts and more of them. I tend to write long. In essay form. I know it turns some people off but it's just how I roll. I want to be comprehensive, I want to take into account everything relevant, and I want anyone reading to follow along. So I plod and I explain as I run on and on. But while it doesn't take me quite as much time as some other people, it still takes effort to make those lengthy posts. And it's become apparent that, lately, my post count's been suffering. I started this blog, in part, as a way to get my pen moving. If I'm not making posts I feel like I'm standing still again. And, trust me, I'm not too happy with where I'm at. Just feels like I've slipped a bit so I'm going to be making a concerted effort into putting some of my thoughts out into the ether rather than letting them rattle around in my head until they get crowded out. Not quite sure if I've found the best way to go about it yet but I think I'm getting someplace. I'm sure it makes things a bit disjointed but that's what happens when I get rid of the filters I've built up to let other people understand where I'm coming from. And that's a very strange place, indeed.


In evolution, after all, it doesn't matter what change you're making, just that you're making a change. Evaluating and reacting to that change comes later, but from your current square, each step is the same distance. If you don't like where you're standing, and you're not sure where you're headed, what have you got to lose? Take a step into a brave new world. Look around and see if you like where you're at. Step again and again, and pretty soon you'll get home.


That's how I've been trying to look at it lately, anyway. And maybe it's taken a crisis to remind me. But if it's cost my cat's life to get me out of my rut again, well, it's a poor bargain but one I'll be happy to make.

No comments: