Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Le Yawn

Okay, so I'm messing around today. So sue me, I'm in a playful mood. Definitely looks like we'll be having the match tomorrow since, you know, we didn't today and that'd be the fallback. Haven't heard anything from the other team. Or, for that matter, our member who's supposed to be co-ordinating all this. In case I haven't mentioned it in the past five minutes, tournament scheduling sucks, yo.

Got a few things in the works but mostly took it easy what with class and all today. In game we couldn't rally enough for a practice even (Which, you know, isn't a good sign but it's not all that unusual for OoX on Mondays) so I spent some time tinkering with a Sin build in the RA. Because, as some credit hound said it's just running your fingers down the keyboard and I was in the mood for something a little brainless. I took a look at Impale as opposed to the more common Burst or Web variations because I really like the disruption of Horns of the Ox. But it's hard to give up the gold standard of Twisting Fangs followed by Blades of Steel. As is generally the case, it's that Deep Wound that gets the kills. So, my solution was to take Horns and Blades and follow up the first part of the chain with an Impale. Black Spider -> Horns -> Impale -> Black Lotus -> Blades of Steel = some poor Monk having a conniption. You get the KD to interrupt whatever they're doing and prevent kiting even if they've Veiled off Prison and you follow that up with the Deep Wound from Impale to set the table for your big damage from Blades. Black Lotus late in the chain (since Spider, Ox, and Impale are all 5en, it's not a big deal.) means you'll be nearly full of energy to throw out an Expose or Feign out or whatever, really. I fiddled around with a few different skills to see what I liked there.


Got me two glad points, anyway. Plus a few respectable runs in the TA with RA teams. Almost made it to another glad but we ran up against a dedicated TA build with Price and Spirit of Failure plus a ton of other hexes that our ragtag team just wasn't equipped to deal with. After all, that's a mighty attack chain I was slanging but, as usual, all it takes is one miss to blow the sequence and a good Monk will be able to recover. A great Monk/Ranger/whatever can probably even catch that spike anyways as there's no BoA (Though, in that case, it's on a 12 second cycle so I'll be happy to see who's energy pool or reflexes fail first.). But it's hard to give up anything on the bar. I mean, it's at the point where I didn't even bother to bring a rezsig.

I know, heresy.

Anyhow, it's easy to see why these guys are so popular now. Heavy hitting and with Expose they can get around a lot of anti-melee measures. To deal with them you need a lot of hex removal or miss shutdowns rather than block - Blinds, Blurs and the like.

Oh well, fingers crossed that we'll even have a match tomorrow. As for how we'll do during it, well, we'll see.

2 comments:

Lemming said...

Back when I was in OoX (before the shakeup, when it was still a training guild), we went into matches with quite a bit of masculine bravado regarding our imminent opponent.

Black humor is a lot better than the previous attitude, I think.

Sausaletus Rex said...

Black humor is a lot better than the previous attitude

I think it is, too. Bravado isn't too far removed from overconfidence which is a really, really bad thing.

Then again, you have me and Clamatius in the crew and, well, we're both trained in the fine arts of black, sarcastic humor.