Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Haven't Done Enough to Be Exhausted Yet

Still on a bit of a writer's high from yesterday's celebration. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but given my track record of abandoned projects and half-finished works just sticking around this long is an accomplishment for me. Considering I started this blog up to get my mental pen moving last NaNo I'm amazed.

In case I haven't made it clear enough by now, I've junked my first NaNo novel and I've started up another one. Look at it this way, I already have 60k or so. Enough to "win", so everything else is gravy. But my first book was proving to be too intractible and too big to ever hope to complete. Rather than gutting it in hopes of finding an endpoint somewhere I'm going to shelve all my work on it for now and start fresh with a new tale. I might not get around to it immediately after November but, you know, the outline for the story I'm working on now languished in a notebook for years before I got inspired by it again. I'll get back to it one of these days.

For now, it's a new year for this blog and a new manuscript for me. I haven't had much of a chance to work on it yet (And, yes, I hear the clock ticking, I really need to get moving on it. But you don't understand I've been completely unmotivated and I've still managed to crank out several k a day and update this site and do a half dozen other things until my head is spinning around and I'm collapsing asleep the second I hit the pillow. It's great. But the belabored point being that I know once I settle in and start working I can get this done. Which means I'm not worried that I'm dicking around a bit too much.) but I've already got some strong scenes planned. A few thousand in the bank already, too. I'm going to hit it up once I finish here and try to get that word meter full up again.

Let's see, what else? There's the writer's strike but I think plenty of people have that covered already.

People aren't as dumb as the media thinks.

And I'm going to bet that most of the people who come here are already familiar with Penny Arcade but I'll point this out anyway. Bioware is looking for some writers and they want them to come up with a NWN module showcasing your dialog abilities for the application. The requirements on the official page sound pretty daunting - a writing portfolio, 2~5 years of experience, and the usual PR fluff - but given the tone of the e-mail posted at PA, I gather it's the sort of thing where a good demo makes up for a lot of deficiencies. Might be worth looking into. I know I will, once I can find the time.

Anyhow, off to work on my own book.

No comments: