Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Power to the Patrons

You know, I’m kicking myself. When deciding which game to hop into as a reward for finishing my NaNoWriMo the choice, for whatever reason, came down to (link Auto Assault and Saga of Ryzom. I think my feelings about Auto Assault are pretty clear at this point and I’ll refrain from bashing them further until I can work up a good review. But, well, I like Guild Wars and other NCSoft games and I know they ship a product that’s usually up my alley so I figured I’d go with the free trial on the car MMO. Ryzom has an unlimited trial period which put me off a bit because that’s 1) very easy for me to get sucked into and 2) a sign that they’re not really on all that steady a footing and hemorrhaging customers. I was also put off by their deep skill system which sounds like a lot of fun but more effort than I’m willing to put into making work for me at the moment. This whole Free Ryzom movement makes me regret my choice deeply. Go read the site if you’re interested but the gist is that the players of the game are trying to buy the game, lock stock and barrel from the company which has gone into receivership. So they can keep the game running.

That’s just fantastic. And I could have been in-game when this was going down. Still, I have the installer sitting on my harddrive, maybe I’ll free up some space and see what can be seen.

No comments: