Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Insert “Witty” Answer/Question Headline Here

Sigh, can't think of a good title. You'd think it would be easy. Because a name like “The Answer” involved in a trade is the kind of thing copy editors live for.

So, the news is that Allen Iverson just got traded to the Denver Nuggets for, well, a league average point guard, a walking expiring contract, and two late first round draft picks (in what looks to be an especially strong draft). And, well, if you want to talk more about it head over to Mr. Yglesias's place because you'll probably find a more informed commentariat over there than you will from me. I'll point out that the talking heads on SportsCenter were saying Philly made out pretty well while the folks over at Matthew's place are saying they took a bath and leave it to you to figure out where the difference is.

For myself, what I focus on here isn't what happens on the court (Now, if Iverson had somehow ended up with the Pistons this might be a different story...) but the metastory, if you will. Iverson didn't have a no trade contract yet he was able to sit out and, essentially, hold the Sixers hostage until he got the trade he wanted. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, mind, because I haven't quite decided myself if I should be pissed off or depressed about that. I'm tending towards the later because that's what usually happens when I hear about millionaires fighting billionaires. Over, you know, things that don't really matter in the long view. But, then again, take the longest view and nothing matters.

No comments: