Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ain't Nothing so Vicious as a Nerd Fight

There's a saying often applied to academia: “The politics are so harsh because the stakes are so low.”

Don't know why but it's just bouncing around my head and I thought I'd mention it. Anyway, it's times like this that I really miss Fanboy Rampage. Because what we have in Daniel Way and his behavior is what I'd like to call “grade A material" (Um, hat tip to Mr. Church or whatever. I think that's how that works, anyway...).

You know, I always try and consider an author's works on their own merits (sort of the inverse of the princely advice Mr. Church was so kind to give in his "related" link - related the same way big is to small.) by separating the author from the work. They have just as much right to their views and opinions as anyone else does and I'm not paying them for those, I'm paying for the story they're trying to tell (Hey, I have to rationalize going to see Apocalypto - among other things - somehow.). And, well, sometime's it's hard to separate their perspective from that story but, for the most part, it's not. For me, anyway.

So, having gone over the relevant bodies of work and giving them their full and due consideration, I'd just like to say: Daniel Way, you are a fuckhead. And I don't give a shit about what you think, either.

Of course, I wouldn't touch a Wolverine comic with a ten foot pole at this point so he probably doesn't care too much about me. But, if I could I would ask him how many people are reading the book for his writing and just how many are reading it because everyone's seemingly favorite Canadian is involved.

No comments: