Thursday, December 14, 2006

Craftsmanship

Alright, I've broken my posting fast, obviously. I have a few more things to work up but I've solved more than a few problems I've been having. The writing's been going fine but I've improved my process by leaps and bounds, I think. For instance, I discovered that in the "Edit Posts" tab in blogger there's ways to quickly add tags to any number of posts. That means when I spot themes developing in my writing I can easily carve out a little space to keep them together - like I've just done with "313" for anything related to Michigan. Completely unplanned on my part but after a while I noticed that I kept writing things about my home state. Who knew I was going to be reppin' the 313 and the olde English D? Let me tell you, it ain't easy being this hard. Well, now with a few mouseclicks not only can any reader get a good look at my thoughts on the region, I can also keep track of those posts a lot more easily. I'm not the most organized of people, it's true, but even I understand that creating infrastructure like that makes it easier to expand later on. So, that's just one of the tricks I've picked up in the past week or so and it's all making it easier for me not to create a post but to actually put one up. The less time I worry about the format, the more time I have for crafting the content.

And if you want to know what I mean, well, take a look at the archive on the right, if you would. Not to get too meta on you but...you might notice a little message in the past few posts. That's not accidental. I've always been interested in figuring out just what can be done with any medium I've used to express myself so now that I'm getting more comfortable with this whole blogging thing, I'd expect more of that. Maybe. I don't know, I'm not trying to get too ahead of myself here, though. I'm just consumed by issues of craft and format lately.

Anyhow, I've been putting off painting for long enough so I'm heading off to my mother's to do just that. Paint fumes make me a little queasy so I'm not sure if I'll be getting much done the rest of the day or not. So, you're getting the daily review very early. And you might or might not get more stuff in the coming hours, we'll have to see. I know it sounds a bit weird since I just threw up six posts but I'm trying to ease back into the habit of posting again.

Outlook: I'm about to get dirty.

[1] - 15 minutes

No comments: