Monday, February 5, 2007

Use of Unnessecary Violence Has Been Approved

Picture, if you, will this conversation I held with the rearview mirror on my way to class tonight:

"Alright, it's 10 below outside, we've got a full tank of gas, half a dozen #2 pencils, it's about to be dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses (Well, okay, self-polarizing corrective lenses but we had a good beat going there. And, really, come to think of it the gas isn't quite full maybe we should stop on the way and fill it up because it's not good to let it dip under half when the weather's this cold - the freezing does nasty things to the gas tank and all.)."
"Self?"
"Yes, self?"
"Shut up."
"Yessum."
"Hit it."
"Let's do this thing."

So, the "big" math test was tonight. I had to rush out the door a bit early because, as I found out today, they make you buy your own scantron form (Which, if you don't know what that is, you're very lucky - it's to standardized testing what the waterboard is to Abu Ghraib.) and I needed to make it to the bookstore before class began. That left me in a bit of a tizzy as did all the studying I'd done over the past several days - just very anxious that I was forgetting somethign or something was going to go wrong. I've always believed, when it comes to studying for such things, that at a certain point if you don't know it by then, you never will. That point for me is, unfortunately, about two hours after I take the test.

Turns out I didn't have much to worry about. The test was 25 questions and multiple choice (Which, again, is odd for me in a college level class. That's not how we rolled at my old U. Not even how we did it back in the day in high school - excepting the standardized testing for the AP credit and all.) and about an order of magnitude or two less difficult than I feared. I don't want to get too cocky or anything but I wasn't rushing and I had ample time to finish and go over my answers so I'm feeling pretty good about it - we got to keep the test questions but I'm not even going to bother to check and see if I got any wrong. I wasn't the first to finish and I wasn't the last. Which, you know, I've always found to be a good sign with these things.

Anyhow, now that I'm past that little logic gate, the circuitry of my life can repattern themselves anew. I promised myself a reward if I cracked down and studied hard. Now I just have to figure out what that reward's going to be. In any event, now that the stress of that unknown is out of the way, it's time to take care of some other things I've been putting off. For the moment, though, it's time to thump my chest and celebrate. I know it doesn't look like I've been working hard and, really, I haven't but I'm tired and ready to have some fun. Time to crank up the music, crack open a brew, and stomp on some newbs.

Outlook: Who wants an orange whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three orange whips.

[1] - 15 minutes.

No comments: