Monday, February 19, 2007

Celestial Tournament: The First Aftermath

First round of the tournament is complete for Onslaught of Xen and the result is a 2-0 victory over Greedy Monkey. I have to do some checking to see just what I can blog about here (The matches are unrated which means no one but the guilds involved knows what went on, so we're in keeping start confidential territory here.) so I'll hold off on the details for now.

We had a good night, winning the first match pretty handily and then the second in a flawless. We probably could have had another flawless in the starting match if someone didn't catch a case of the deads. Hats off to [Mon] for entering the tournament and all but having been on the wrong end of that kind of a rout, I know they can't be feeling too good about now. But, OoX, I think, is feeling pretty good. Not only did we take care of business and win the game that we should have but for the first time in a while we had the whole tournament team playing together. I'll be honest, some of our practice sessions have been rough. But tonight there was a lot more communication and competence going on. Granted, we weren't ever really pushed to the brink but we were talking and playing fluidly, as a team, and that, hopefully, bodes even better than getting a win.

The main XoO team also beat Spirits of War 2-0. And RoX is in progress as I'm typing this - inital reports, though, aren't promising.

Update:

RoX went down to a 0-2 defeat at the hands of the Trained Professionals. They apparently had some technical problems. An err late in the first match and someone flubbed their attributes the second. Hate to see 'em lose that way but, hey, it's a Swiss tournament so they'll be back in the next round.

6 comments:

Clamatius said...

I blame you for not shutting down their thumpers enough. ;)

Anonymous said...

Grats to XoO on your wins.

I hope whoever played for main killed Christian Brellisford repeatedly. ;)

Sausaletus Rex said...

I blame you for not shutting down their thumpers enough.

No, no, when someone dies you blame the Monks. They're supposed to have ungodly reflexes, instant casting times, and limitless reserves of energy, after all.

Anyhow, I had the one Thumper shutdown and covered but they were split up so I missed the second and had to wait on the recharge. It happens and that's what sigs are for. But, really, you went down like an epileptic's Jenga tower.

I hope whoever played for main killed Christian Brellisford repeatedly.

I'm going to guess probably. Both matches were VoD affairs. Actually, both matches had the Lords come out of the gates. So, tense, and lots of deaths on each side but the Mothership managed to win thanks to an NPC advantage both times.

How'd you guys do, by the way? Official results aren't up yet and I've yet to find a better unofficial summary than ones like this.

Clamatius said...

Yeah, yeah. I was on full with a thumper on me and kited around in circles for about 15s and eventually died. I did see a Prot Spirit go up on me but I'm not 100% sure what actually killed me. Just random hammer/pet/minion damage, Poisonous Bite and a bit of an assist from their rit, I think.

The mistake I did make in retrospect was that I think the rit might have been on the bridge - I could have got out of his range. With all the minions and pets and crap it was a bit hard to keep track of where everything was. But I did stop once to interrupt his Spirit Burn so I don't really have a good excuse there. I'm trying not to just kite straight back as much since it seems to pull the whole team back some of the time, but this time it was probably the thing to do.

Anyway, I've learned not to blame the monks because then they don't heal you any more. Which is doubleplusungood since everyone likes to kill mesmers.

Anonymous said...

2-0. Neither was particularly hard, although me failng epically in the first match cost a flawless.

Sausaletus Rex said...

the rit might have been on the bridge

The Rit was up on the bridge to start, laying down the spirits (I literally didn't see him using Essence Burn in either match but that's not all that surprising considering where my focus was.). From what I saw you were in trouble and then you dropped really really fast which made me a bit worried about what that team was spiking with because I had their one R/W wrapped up - and, no, you can't blame the minions because there weren't any up at that point, I believe. But, hey, it's all good, by the time you were rezzed back up we were in the middle of causing, like, five deaths on their side. That's when they got the minions going. But considering how the rest of the match went, good trade.

As for kiting, it's a good point. It's really something you have to decide on a case by case basis. There, I think you're right, you want to be back and to draw their Thumpers further up. But at other times you will want to circle around and try to stay useful. It's all down to your position and the situation on the battlefield. And it's one of those things that's hard to really plan for - you kinda need an instinct for it or to have down it so much that it's at that instinctual level.

I'm just glad they weren't on me because I'm awful at that sort of thing myself. Although, you know, the snares help. But one of their big mistakes was, by and large, leaving me alone to hex the crap out of them.


me failng epically in the first match cost a flawless.

Well, congrats right back at ya then.

Sounds like you and Clammy should get together, though, and talk about flawless-blowing strat.