Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Guild Wars: Tourney Time

Well, I'm all signed up with the XoO crew to take part in the Celestial Tournament. Since I'm a sucker for a funny hat I'm, no doubt, going to be checking out the Rollerbeetle stuff during the festivities even though it just doesn't make my heart flutter the way Snowball fights did (The reason, I suspect, is that it's a solo event while even though random Snowballing the night away was still something you did with a team.) but the tournament is the real draw for me. I seem to have caught on in XoO in a midline role so I should have plenty of opportunity to play during rounds. Should be fun.


Part of getting registered, though, was providing some personal information to ArenaNet. Which, you know, since I've been a tester is all pretty much information they've had before but for other people whom they only know as e-mail addresses, there's some information there I wouldn't want to be abused. I'm sure they've taken all due precaution with that, though. No, what I wonder about is the last little piece of information to be transmitted to the tournament organizers: names of characters on my account.


Since part of the rules is that screenshots of each match including the party list will be taken and sent off I'm guessing this is to make sure that the names in that party correspond to the names on the roster. My problem, though, is that since I'm not able to spend 10 hours a day playing I just don't have RP characters at the point where I'd be comfortable PvPing with them. Not with the superior options available to PvP-only characters. They, after all, get decent stat items and armor with all the bells and whistles at the click of a button but, more importantly, they have each and every skill I've ever unlocked at their fingertips. That flexibility is hard to beat. And while those RP characters are static and i'm not very likely to be deleting and rerolling them, my PvP characters are, most certainly, not. I'm one of those people who like to come up with different names all the time and it's rare for me to use one more than a few weeks. I'm not the only one. So, what I wonder is if these rules are saying that I'm going to be stuck with one PvP name or another for the next six weeks? Just so ANet can have a photo on file to compare with the roster? Not that this is explicitly spelled out in the rules or anything. Yeah, that doesn't sound like it's going to cause problems at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did XoO's main divisions pick their 10 anyways? Just the 10 best performers, or the 10 who signed up first, or something different?

Sausaletus Rex said...

I'm in the Onslaught of Xen division - the PST one. Where we had, basically, ten people who wanted to play and have been playing, cover all the roles of the builds we're working on, and everyone is fine with (It's, as I was told signing up, a small guild feel in a larger guild atmosphere. Nice guys and a pretty laid back atmosphere.). Billiard, our head muckity muck posted a list based on who'd been playing, expanded it to include 2 more when that change went in and no one had a problem with it. Everyone's got their info in and as of last night, it's working its way to ANet.

In OoX, the main division, there was a bit of initial drama over the matter (You know, "Hey, I haven't been playing much but this tourney sounds cool, so I'm going to sign up and stake a spot and bitch and moan if anyone complains about it." followed by "Hey, wait a minute, I've been showing up every night and you haven't so why should you get a spot and not me?" Everything stayed civil it was just some discontent over the roster before things were settled.), I can't really say for certain how they did things in the Mothership but, I believe the leadership got together and came up with a list based on a few criteria. Those being skill, participation, and the ability to fit into different roles.

Onslaught of Heroes (OoH) and Reign of Xen (RoX) tend to HA more than GvG - XoO and OoX are the main GvG divisions but they're in the middle of setting up their teams, too. RoX, I believe, their leader went around and recruited people to get a mix of experienced players who haven't been playing much lately as well as some inexperienced (at GvG) people who're consistently showing up.

They've currently got their 10 while OoH is waiting to get enough people to fill out the roster (A few of their members are concerned about not being able to make all the matches and such.) but basically a similar process. A bit more of an open cattle call, though. Don't know if they'll make the deadline or not.

Those are the only four divisions currently planing to take part (There's been talk of having anyone who's going to miss out to transfer to some division and set up a roster, too, but I don't know if theres still time enough for that.). Which, you know, is still a pretty respectable showing.

Something like that, anyway. But the short answer would be that the officers of each division handpicked the roster. They all had their own way of doing it but that seemed to be how it happened.

Sausaletus Rex said...

As an update: Looks like OoH won't be entering the tournament after all.