Monday, February 12, 2007

Bounce Back Refresh

Feeling much better today. I think a decent night's sleep has done me a world of good. But beyond that, I'm feeling up and inspired. I don't have any evidence but the world doesn't seem as bleak as it did just a few short hours ago. Haven't gotten much done for the site, mind, as I decided to try my hand at writing again - something I've really been neglecting for too long. What with my class and that growing urge for some hot and heavy guild on guild action I'm feeling, I jotted down a few ideas for posts but I just haven't been able to get them done before my self-imposed deadline. There's a tournament coming up, you know, and like a boxer, I'm undergoing serious training because I want to be hitting my peak come match-time. Last night I didn't get any matches in but I did manage to test some stuff in the RA and in scrimmage mode. And that's nearly as valuable (If not quite as much fun.). When GvGing I seem stuck in the midlines (There's a few simple reasons behind that, I think. First, the sort of bland, generic casters that are slotted there are, arguably, the easiest characters to run. Fortunately, I haven't had to test my reflexes by playing as a Mesmer yet but there's not much to do except be aware of your position and cast your junk on the best target available, whatever that junk happens to be. That's quite different from the life of a Monk or a frontliner or even a flag runner. Those are, you know, all roles I've also played in the past but they're more demanding. To me, anyway, but I imagine to others as well. Therefore, good players of those positions are hard to find and when they are they tend to stick with those roles and play them time after time.) so if I want to play in some other spots eventually, I'm going to have to practice.

Otherwise, class was again very boring tonight. Which is a bad thing, I suppose, in some ways, but good as it gave me lots of time to think and day dream. It's just so...slow, I guess. As is usually the case, I'm grasping the material a lot faster than the class average and it's frustrating to wait for them to catch up. I'm ahead in my studies and not having any real problem so these class sessions aren't really doing me much good. The real benefit, I suppose, is that they give me a reason to actually study and do the homework and everything else I'd have a hard time doing if left to my own devices. But, well, today I found another error in the book - that makes three so far - just a sign change in a factored polynomial but one that gave me fits as I was trying to follow along with an example. I kept getting an answer the book said was wrong but I checked with the instructor and, yeah, they switched a positive to a negative and rendered their whole proof invalid. Considering how much textbooks cost you'd think they'd have taken care of that sort of thing before going to press. It just made me think about wasting my time and money and all - something, you know, I've done enough of by this point. And I'm beginning to wonder if this class isn't something of a waste.

I was, after all, excited to go back to school. Thrilled to be thinking and discussing and, well, awake again. Just like I remembered being back in college. But, well, my local community college isn't the same thing as my alma mater. So perhaps I wasn't the most realistic in expecting a group of scholars and all. Or maybe I just forgot how tedious the school experience was. But it just feels slow and remedial. And I'm not very engaged. While everyone else in the class seems to be struggling.

No comments: