Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The State of the Blog

So, the blog isn't doing so well lately. I'm afraid I have no one to blame for all the inactivity around here except myself. I could have found the time to write more but I haven't. It's been far down on the list of priorities for a while now. Just been hard to put digital pen to the electronic paper.

And, unfortunately, that looks like a state of affairs that's going to continue. As I feared, heading into last month, my schedule is just hellishly busy lately. I'm back in school nearly full time now, with a heavy load of classes as I'm getting closer to that second degree. The studying alone is enough to suck up most of my time. But I'm also working part time in order to pay for it all. And I've got my other projects and diversions to keep me busy. The simple fact is that when I do find time to sit down and write, I don't seem to be able to summon up much energy for the process. Not when I've finished typing up my latest paper or dropping a few thousand words on fleshing out some other concept.

Now, though, the semester's finally well underway. Past the initial stages and easy opening assignments and into a time of reports and midterms. It's not like my grades are poor but I didn't go back to school in order to test well. I went back to understand and advance myself and that takes precious time.

Next month, I'm afraid, isn't going to get any better. I'm likely going to be hosting at least part of the annual gathering of the clan for Thanksgiving and that's means not just hours of family and feasting but long days of cleaning and preparation. And November is, of course, National Novel Writing Month and, at the moment, I'm thinking I'd like to participate, once again. I don't have the time. I don't even have an idea. But I might not have the sanity and I'd like to make sure that I don't, by month's end. I'm more worried about what happens to me if I take the lazy way out and refuse to try, once again, rather than try to push myself past what I think's possible.

But that's next month's concern. At the moment, I should be able to find a little time to tend to my sadly neglected blog once again. If nothing else, if only to get used to the challenge of a steady routine again.

It seems that on this blog, as in life, there are no promises. So I don't know what to expect and neither should anyone still kind enough to be reading this. But I'm going to try to write at least a little bit. Every day. One post at a time. Rain or shine. Exhilarated or exhausted. I have to keep the pen moving. Because the alternative is that it might stop.

No comments: