Thursday, October 9, 2008

Quixotic

Count me among the many who refuses to get too excited about Obama's prospects. Having been burned by the horrific realization four years ago that fifty some million people could not only vote for Bush, they could vote for him twice... And having had 2000's endless election seared into a blossoming political awareness... I'm not going to consider this election as having been won until Obama is laying his hand on the bible during his inauguration.

But, if you ask me, that's a good thing. It's not fear, it's determination. Because if there's one thing I'm doing this year, it's not taking anything for granted. Ask my friends, ask my family, I might not be the biggest Obama supporter around but I'm using every chance I can get to talk him up, to get others registered, to get anyone to head out and vote. My chosen candidate might lose this time but it's not going to be for dint of effort on my part.

Rather than hiding under the blanket and waiting for the bad times to go away, I'm going to at least tilt at the windmill. And, if you ask me, that should be the attitude of anyone who still considers this election anything but a foregone conclusion.

We can't be complacent. We can't take this election for granted. If it's still in doubt, then we have to go out and make sure that it isn't.

No comments: