Friday, August 24, 2007

Superbad: Just a Note

The movie's not quite as awesome as I'd hoped. But, basically, by the time I sat down in a theater somewhere in California on my trip with my brother to give it a watch, I was expecting it to cure cancer and give me a back-rub afterwards. The greatest movie of all times, in other words. Which it's not. It is, however, diabolically funny.


It's really just the latest in a long line of raunchy teen movies. It's a lot smarter than, say, American Pie but it doesn't set it's goals much higher. It's also unbelievably foul, in a good way, as you can see from this R-rated trailer which basically gives away the whole plot:



“Shit! The cops!” Gets me every time. The two goofy cops played by Rogan and that one guy from SNL are hilarious. But the real breakout star of the film is, of course, the sexy Irish R&B singer and 25 year old Hawaiian organ donor, Fogell:



McLovin is a great character. The kind that makes the old, awkward high school geek in me cringe in self-recognition. I mean, Fogell is so clueless and so confident at the same time. It's frighteningly accurate, the same way the film captures the way that my friends and I would banter and clown around, the whole feeling of being on the verge of school ending. But Fogell really hits close to home. Just watch:



Yeah, like you've never done anything like that.


It's like this, you don't owe it to yourself to watch this film, if you haven't already. But you do owe it to future generations.

No comments: