Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I'm Killroy: It's Been A While

Goes to show how long it's been since I've posted but I didn't even remember switching my header tag. It's not a case of someone playing silly buggers since it's there in my notes. As you can see yourself, I did indeed follow this directive to myself “Change tag to CAST IN THE NAME OF GOD. YE NOT GUILTY.” I just have no recollection of it.


Now, I like this tag because it's a sneaky one. It sounds vaguely religion and, having a blog called the Cult of Evolution, I am aware of the subtext there. However, it's not even remotely religious. It's lifted from the anime series, the Big O. Man, I miss that show.


Clippage:



Sadly forgotten by now, at the time it came out, it was a revelation. For me, at least. Done by the same animation team that did the animated Batman series (No, not the current one which I've heard has much improved. But considering where it started that might not be saying much. No, I'm talking about the mid 90s from the Timm-verse.) the show is what would happen if you tossed giant battling robots into that version of the Dark Knight. It's got the same kind of retro noir sensibility and art direction. The lead character was a dead ringer for Bats, it's just he jumped into the pilot seat of a ten story tall robot instead of putting on a cape and tights. And like B:TAS, and unlike a lot of the anime flooding the market at the time, it had a very Western attitude towards characterization. In that it actually had some.


There are only two seasons of the show, thanks to the Cartoon Network (Back when they actually cared about putting good anime on the air. And not completely enthralled to Williams Street who are apparently out to prove how cool they are by insulting their viewers.). It's one of the rare examples of an anime show failing in the Japanese market but being renewed because of success here, in America. But the first season was a hit on the CN and they ordered another which showed up a few years later, promising to wrap up some dangling threads from the first.


Still have no idea about the underlying mystery of the show, though, since it really jumped the tracks at the end. The whole weird premise of the show was that at some point in the future everyone lost their memory. Except they kinda didn't. Except they really did. And then it was all make believe and giant stagelights were falling from the air. Like I said, absolutely no clue what the point of that story was. Still a great show, though.


Before I go, one more gem from the YouTube vaults. Big O set to “Mr. Roboto”:



No comments: