Thursday, August 23, 2007

Frenzied Scripting: Lack of Progress Report

Time to check back in on my script. Since it's only been a few minutes blog-time since I've posted about it but a few days since I actually wrote those words.


And, sadly, I don't have much more to report. Haven't written word one since I've gotten back from my trip. Oh, I've written plenty of words but they've all been swallowed up by the great big delete button in the sky, leaving me with nothing.


I've hit the dreaded Writer's Lock. Not the more common Block where I can't come up with anything to write. I never run out of ideas. No, I run out of time. I'm caught trying to decide which of several options to take, unable to make up my mind, leading to a lack of energy and a surplus of apathy, that makes forward progress impossible. My script somewhere in limbo. I haven't written much of it because every time I sit down, I start flipping through my mental outline and I keep stumbling on this one little snag in the plot that I'm not sure, yet, how to resolve. I mean, I know what leads up to it, I know what happens afterwards, I just can't figure out how it happens itself. Let alone how to write it, the feel, the tone of the scene. And it's really bugging me since it's a pretty pivotal event that affects everything to come afterwards.


So, in lieu of writing my current script, I've been engaged in preproduction for numerous others. I'm not sure why, but I seem to prefer planning out and preparing to write a script much more than I do actually writing one. Probably because with a finished product, I can't say it'll be better once I put some more effort into it – A script, no matter how good, will never match the sterling example of writerly goodness and artistic merit that I have in mind when I first set out.

No comments: