Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I Would Completely Read This

Huh. I thought, as the e-king, I had an impressively aggrandizing handle. But, no, the self-proclaimed Mighty God King has me beat. Hands down.

He (And I'm just playing the percentages here. And the gender bias inherent in calling yourself a male monarch.) also thinks he'd do a bang up job of writing the Legion of Super-Heroes. I'm inclined to agree with him. There's a petition, too, if you're likewise inclined.

I should mention that I kinda sorta enjoy the current version – if only for a decently written Super Girl (Although I hear her own title might have turned the corner. Finally.). And that, for the most part, the Legion is one of those areas of comicdom that makes me ball up in a corner and weap because although I understand people find it beautiful, I, myself, can only see a ball of clay on a pedestal. In other words, it's nice enough but I just don't get the hardcore devotion. Just passed me by during the right developmental stage, I guess.

Anyways, on to the real reason for this post: the pet theories. I do so love untangling the threads of a well plotted opus.

But, anyway, there are two big mysteries in the Mighty one's outline. The first is how Naltor, the homeplanet of Dream Girl, and full of pre-cogs (And, yeah, minus geek points for me, I had to look that up.), managed to be destroyed. The second is the tantilizing question of just who the Empire of D are.

Both of which, I think, are solved by contextual clues provided elsewhere within the proposal. For the first, one of the other ideas mentioned is Schrodinger's Army. Which, as any armchair game theorist could tell you is a takeoff of the famous Schrodinger's Cat – the one that's in a closed box and you can't tell if it's alive or not until you open it up and take a look. That collapses the waveform of probability and determines which cat you, in fact, have been holding all along. Basic quantum physics. And it's the sort of thing you might read in the paper and get a cool idea off of, I imagine, I know I have. But it's also mentioned as a one-off idea, so maybe I'm on the wrong track here. Still, I think the only way you can get past the power of precognition, of a planetary gift of prophecy would be to mess with probabilities like that. So maybe it's not the Schrodinger's Army that attacked Naltor, but whoever's behind them. A trial run for their technology, that sort of thing.

The Empire of D is trickier. But I think it's hidden right there in plain view, too. Part of the proposal is to show what happened to Gorilla City (Now, that one, I know without having to look it up.). Which apparently left Earth some time ago to become some kind of interstellar nomads. One of whom goes on to join the Legion. Ah, but what if there were a more compelling reason for that space-ape to join than it simply being a matter of being too cool not to? If those are nomadic decedents from Gorilla City are the peaceful apes, what about what happened to, say, Gorilla Grodd?

I refuse to believe the mind that brings us the Last Will and Testament of the Space Cabby brings us Gorilla City without a healthy dose of Groddly goodness. Although, I don't get where the name – Empire of D - comes from. Except from maybe the extra 'd' in Grodd? Which would be...weird... but could work.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. But that's the fun of this kind of thing. A bit of harmless speculation about the threads I see being woven into a pattern I might recognize is a sign of how interested I am in those threads. I don't want to wait, don't want them to play out, I want to jump ahead and know what's going on. So, yes, I agree with the sentiments expressed here. Artistic works are not solely the property of the creator nor are they completely driven by pleasing the audience. They're, at their best, a dialog between the two. An interaction. An unequal one, to be sure, with just how much depends on the medium. But it's definitely a transaction of some kind being made. People trying to flip to the last page of the book are a good sign.

No comments: