Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Link Bloggy Never Ends

So much to say, so many tears to shed, so many stories to tell, but I can't find the time. So, instead, I rely on the time-honored secret of the blogger's trade - the link.


I keep meaning to say something about this post at Seven Hells but I can never find the right words. It's been far too long in the petri dish of the intranet's memory, though, and I give up. So, let me just say that I think Mr. Sanders pretty accurately puts a finger on what bothers me so much about what happened with Impulse - how they killed him long before they buried him. And the passing of Mr. Wieringo. It's always sad when hope dies.


This is possibly the coolest web-gadget since LoLFeeds. I've already dashed off about forty featuring the greatest in-joke of all times, Mr. Lloyd “Substance Abuse” Bridges – don't judge, it's funny to me. Like so:



Have your own fun, if you haven't already.


Speaking of video games, this is either the most insidious or clever idea I've ever heard. Asia, by the way, is way ahead of us Westerners when it comes to dealing with the sort of issues raised by a virtual world. I'm just saying.


Shifting gears, entirely, I don't think people realize just how much damage has been done by the current administration. It's even worse than they think. Historically, nothing lasts forever. Even something as grand as America can fade away, ground down by the dusts of time. Because we're not exceptional, just different. Not that we'll feel the effects now, it's what's going to happen in years to come as the world realizes that America is no longer indispensable. That they can and will work around the “crazy uncle” sitting on top of a pile of nuclear weapons and shouting at people until he gets his way. And the real danger is what happens when the US realizes it, too.


To illustrate my last point, here's a link to a view of American politics from someone outside the country. Someone who knows how to make a point well and twist the dagger. In passing, of course, because the post is about the Manufacturing Dissent, a film about Michael Moore than anything else. But when you have someone living in one of my country's greatest allies off-handedly saying that our political system is fundamentally broken and dishonest as if discussing how the grass is green, then we have a problem.


Speaking of the lies we tell ourselves to feel free, yeah, Opus disappeared from my Sunday paper. Now I know why, I guess. You can read the first of two censored strips here (And the other when it's posted). Just...sigh.


And to close on a hopeful note. It's pretty sad that it's come to this, Brownie's Law (scroll down). That the idea that elected officials need to be actually competent and qualified needs to be explicitly stated is just a sign of how far down the drain we've swirled, isn't it? As always, the progressive complaint isn't that we need more things, be that media or regulation or government itself, but that we need more effective things.


Looks like the call to arms on behalf of Mrs. Burner worked. I'd like to think my small contribution helped. And considering that the average donor gave something like $40, I'd have to say it did.

No comments: