Saturday, August 25, 2007

GW:EN Sneak Peak: Live Thread 5, The Break

Whew. Took a little while longer than I expected but I got it done and up. I told you I had plans for that skill information I took my sweet time getting yesterday.

Question. Would it be better if a post like that was split up into smaller groups, say, by profession? Perhaps with a linking index for easier navigation. Or is just one big thread good enough for your purposes?

As you might have noticed, it's been a while since my last live thread. That's because I haven't been playing since last night. I had to sleep and eat and take care of various meatbody things that have stolen away my precious playtime. I also used the opportunity to post up on some of the stray thoughts and factoids I gathered that didn't quite make it into any of yesterday's live threads. Those were written largely piecemeal and edited together this morning so I have no idea if they match up to my usual - low - quality or not (If they do, I'm disappointed because I was only using half my ass that time. If they don't, I'm sorry and I shall do better next time.). I'm not too concerned because I wrote them like, "Hmm, that's a thought and let me get it down. Am I happy with the word choice here and, holy crap, Charr!" as I was playing along.

I will point out that there is a difference between those kind of posts and this one although it might not seem like it thanks to Mama Rex's insistence on plentiful typing classes when I was but a youngling (This would also be why I don't have Twitter. I would drown or be drowned.). Post labeled as teh "Livebloggy" are done in a free form, unedited fashion. They're my thoughts as they occur and while I might not post them up immediately , I'm just putting them up as is . Other posts around the site have hopefully had a little more thought and care put into them. But you never know.

Anyhow, I spent the morning not just blogging and taking care of my housework but also doing a little leg work on GW:EN. Looking around sites for resources, mainly, I haven't bothered looking at forums or other sites much for reviews and comments because, frankly, I don't really care. I don't need someone else to tell me what to think about the game and it doesn't matter to me whether it succeeds or fails so I don't see the point in seeking that kind of information out. Especially when I'm trying to make up my own mind about it.

As I said, my conclusion at the moment is that it's probably the best PvE campaign ever released for Guild Wars. Topping even last year's Nightfall. It's also the weakest in terms of PvP content. Although some promised fixes to some formats could change that and I'll freely admit I've been steering clear of the PvP side of things to focus on the storyline so I don't know what the meta or the mood is like - I just don't think there's enough meat in the new skills to really provide any kind of meaningful shift. There's nice stuff but nothing revolutionary. And I'm not sure it has enough content to keep me interested long enough to justify a purchase. Not at this time, anyway. I'll pick it up eventually because I'm an addict and I'll be back but I just don't have it in me at the moment.


I looked into the wikis and the guides and such popping up because I'm a little curious about how much further I have to go. I spent a while on the game yesterday and I have three map pips for my trouble, a handful of quests, some reputation points, and some mini-game play. What I've yet to see are any missions. I'm curious to know just where they are and how to get to them. And just how much of the story I have to wade through to get there. I know I'm going to have to solve the mystery of the Nornbear and recruit Hot Mama Nornlette first, but I don't know if there's any more after that. As I said, I want to try all the content, so finding a mission or a dungeon or whatever they're doing is now my top priority. After that comes PvP stuff. And after that, maybe hooking up with some old friends (Spoke with a few yesterday and either they haven't figured out I'm an asshole yet or they're too polite to tell me. Either way, I seem good.).


So, that is my plan for the day. To find a mission, to run that mission, to beat that mission. And then to go from there. Having gotten all the ancillary stuff out of the way, I'm pretty much going to go full blast the rest of today and a good portion of tomorrow. Just have to stop for fuel and bio breaks. I always knew that Friday was going to be a slow day. Not only did I want to review the skills and all, but between work and all, I only had so much time to play and I took my sweet time going around and exploring, sampling, rather than rushing through. So, I didn't get too much done. There's 72 hours in this event but, realistically, I've only got 30 or 40 hours to devote to playing. I need to sleep and take care of things and connect with the world outside the box on my desktop in order to feel human from time to time. And that eats up the minutes. But, now, I'm itching to get started again. So let's get going on that.

No comments: