Tuesday, July 31, 2007

We're Kinda Back

Sigh, seems fitting that I should follow my most productive month of blogging to date with my worst, doesn't it? In the best traditions of my blogging forerunners, let this music clip speak for my inner most feelings:



It's with a heavy heart that I say...PSYCHE! You thought it was over? It's not over.


Yeah, I'm not quitting. I've just been busy with other stuff.


I could regale you with tales of staying on the phone all day trying to save internet radio and the republic (Long story short, saving internet radio worked, sort of, as the parties reached an 11th hour compromise. Things are still up in the air – something about royalties - so the fight's not over, but at least stations are still broadcasting. On trying to find out under what circumstances my congressional representatives would consider impeaching someone in the administration, I was less successful. Nothing but press release bloviation from the staffer I spoke with but, oh well.). Spin a yarn of art fairs I've seen, from both sides of the stall. Of computer crashes. Speak of lost files and jury-rigged machines. Of heading to the east coast to chill while my brother checked out a job offer. Tell you about all the adventures I've been having that make it hard to chain myself to the keyboard long enough to write my typical rambling, overlong post. But the sad truth is that the reason I've been silent for so long is the still the same from when I went originally went dark – math class is kicking my ass.


I actually did well on the test I was preparing for oh those many days ago. Even better on the one after that. And the one after that. It's pretty much been a test a week. And a mountain of material to cover and homework to get done. If I don't do it, then I fall behind, and that means I'm that much less prepared for that day's lesson and sliding down that slippery slope to cluelessness. It's a lot of work, I'm saying, and by the time I get done with that and with class and with my daily writing, I'm beat. Just no energy to sit down and post up a storm. And, you know, missing one day of posting makes it that much easier to miss the next, and the next, and the next...twenty. Damn, has it really been that long?


That's right, by the way. Still working on finishing my Frenzy script. We're on revision 3 since the final horn sounded. And I'm juggling preproduction on a further two scripts. Plus working on my NaNo outline. Oh, yeah, that's right, it's not for a few months yet but I'm already working on it. I've got some ass to kick when the crazy train stars boarding again. Try to put in at least a few hours a day on it all, rain or shine. But I'll get into a groove, keep writing way past when I intend to, until I look up and, whoops, it's time to go to bed or start dinner or head to class or whatever else I have to do, so I put the posts I'd been meaning to write to the side.


Anyhow, it should be getting better soon since class is all but over and there's only the final left, which is this Thursday. Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to be back to full-time blogging any time soon. I've finally found some work. Not good work but, hey, I'm not picky at this point. And those responsibilities are a further drain on my resources and time. I'm already feeling the strain and I'm just not sure I'll be able to keep all the balls up in the air.


So, here's the plan: I've been meaning to do this for a while now, but I think this old blog could use to scrubbing up. When I started, I was just chugging along, not really worrying about a lot of the little details. Letting those go was fine, at first, because the whole point was just to have a place to talk, to think, to express myself outloud, as it were. It might sound a bit strange, but I'm not a very talkative person. I live inside my head a lot and the idea was having a blog, having to post day in and day out would help me out to get my thoughts down. To get, in so many words, the pen moving. Not in my head, but on the paper where it belongs. And I think it's been a resounding success there. But what I want to work on now is consistency. On not just having rambling, tangential thoughts, but actually seeing them through to completion. More polish. Less amateur hour stuff. That sort of thing.


I want to post less but post better, if that makes any sense. At the same time, I'm sick of starring at this template, this layout. It was fine when I just grabbed it off the rack but, bleh, I've been wanting to change them for the longest time but messing around with them would have taken away from the posting. But it really needs doing. I've procured (Don't ask how) a guide to such things – since my web design skills are more than a little rusty – and I'm hoping that once my class is done, I'll be able to sit down and really dig into that text. Don't be surprised if the site goes wacky in the next few days as I fiddle with widgets and template codes. And while I'm at it, I might as well take the opportunity to do some spring cleaning around this place. Clean out the blogroll, add some things I've been thinking about, figure out some ongoing series I can maintain, all the stuff I've been avoiding doing.


I think I've discovered a few new content streams, though, so hopefully things won't be too quiet around here. But, for now, I've got a final to study for.

No comments: