Thursday, October 9, 2008

Rex Does Kongai: The Plan

Okay, so I mentioned that as I was trying to put away all those nifty card concepts that I've been working out through the summer (Even when I've got better things to do. Even when I haven't been playing the game. Even when...well, you get the picture, it's been consuming a frightening portion of my attention span lately.), my treacherous brain went and thought up a whole new batch of them.

And, you know, I think that I've got something with them. I've been learning how to make cards, teaching myself how to fashion them wholecloth, and the ones that I'm making now are much better than when I started. The ideas are getting stronger with practice. And, although I should be careful since I'm caught up in the exciting flush of a new creation, seem like the strongest yet.

Or could be, if I could find the time to work on them. Which won't be easy with November fast approaching and school heating up and working continuing to suck and all.

But what you might not know is that I've been casting about for a project to work on for this blog. I love projects, as you may have noticed. Some goal, some task to work towards, something to direct my vast energies into. I just don't seem to have much of a knack for finishing them off, although I am trying to get better at it. But I find that it's easier to have something to write about...well, when I have something to write about. Whether it's a game I'm playing or a journey I'm taking or whatever else, my post count tends to go up when I have a project to work on.

So, here's what I'm thinking: I'd like to work on these new cards. And I'd like to have a project to blog about. So why not blog about making these cards?

The deal is that I'll try and make regular posts detailing where I am and the process of going from idea to inception with these cards. Starting generally and then working my way towards the specific. I'll create a living record of what I'm working on that will – hopefully – give me an incentive to work on it. And I'll be able to touch on aspects of design and theorycrafting and the stuff that people might actually care to read about along the way. There are four groups and about four weeks left in the month. About twenty characters and about twenty days left until Novemember. If I can knock them out by that deadline, that'll take me to the start of NaNo kicks off. Sounds like a half-assed plan to me.

And that's exactly the kind of project I can get behind.

We'll get started on things tomorrow, though, since I have to run right now.

No comments: