Monday, October 6, 2008

Register to Vote Today

Many states, including my own home of Michigan, require that voters register at least 30 days before the election. That means if you're planning to vote this November, you need to make sure you're registered by the end of today.

In only a few states (Nine, I believe, including Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, and Wyoming - but I'd check and make sure, since I'm not.) you can show up vote on election day. You just need to have a valid ID and you'll be registered on the spot - it makes voting easier and tends to increase turnout significantly. Everywhere else, you need to be already on the voter rolls. Because, I guess, voting should be as difficult as possible.

But with the stakes in the election this year, though, I'd hope tit's worth the inconvenience. If you're not sure where to start, in Michigan, at least, you should visit your Secretary of State's.

There's also this, which will find your registration form for you.

No comments: