Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sports Blogging: Sports Today

The Wings won yesterday. I'm starting to become cautiously optimistic about the Red Wings chances to advance now. It helps that they have a commanding 3-0 lead over the hated Avalanche. But, more importantly, the Av-Nots have been riddled with injuries lately - they've gotten Foppa Forsberg back and Theodore seems to be over his flu (Symptoms included an increased chance to see pucks suddenly appearing behind him.) but now they've lost Smyth. They'd have a hard time beating Detroit if they were completely healthy, now they're playing at a disadvantage.

The Pistons won, too. I'm less inclined to be optimistic here although last night was an encouraging sign. The reason? Billups finally went off. Chauncy is the proverbial straw that stirs the drink. When he's not playing well, the Pistons aren't playing well and he'd been having a horrible post-season so far. If he's back to form then my worries are over. If he's not, well, I still think they'll get past Philadelphia but I think the only way they get past Orlando (And, yes, I know I slighted them when calling for the Toronto upset. It was a longshot that didn't pan out, it happens, and I take back all the nasty things I said about them. There, happy?) is for Billups to have a strong series - he can pick them apart, it's just a question of if he will.

And the Tigers won as well. That leaves them a mere two games below .500! So, yeah, I'm not ready to get back on the bandwagon here yet. The Tigers still haven't won a game when they've scored less than four runs - they'll need to win those kind of games to do well. On the other hand, they have had 12 games where they've scored more than four. But all is not well in Tigertown yet.

No comments: