Saturday, April 12, 2008

Kongai: It's Okay, Really

Before anyone asks, since I was holding off on posting a lot of specifics about the game previously, no, I haven't broken any non-existent disclosure agreement. Not even with things like the massive card list I posted the other night. Rather, I was waiting until I got some confirmation that it was alright to get into the real meat of the game in public.

I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan of overly restrictive NDAs and their role in the testing hype machine but I, at least, respect the spirit behind them. Games in development are in flux and can be unfairly hurt by the negative preconceptions. At the same time, in a competitive game like Kongai, it's pretty vital to talk about and tear apart various issues (And not just so the developers can gain feedback, I'd argue, but the kind of fervor such debates can engender are to the benefit of the game - they prime the pump of interest, they drive attention and recognition, and best of all fans like me do it for game companies for free. It's a win-win situation all around in contrast to things like people leaking code or other trade secrets.). And I've wanted to err on the side of caution. Of saying too little instead of too much.

But I've been in touch with some of the people responsible and the word (As I understand it. And if I'm wrong, hey, that's what delete buttons are for.) is that it's perfectly acceptable to discuss the game in public. The only real prohibition remains against releasing videos of the game. I'm just going to mentally extend that to screenshots and other art assets so I don't have to bother with them. For now anyway.

And what that means for you, oh valued (And ever so rare) blog reader, is that I've been posting and working on a lot of things Kongai related. Now that my self-imposed soft ban on such materials has been lifted, I'm going to try and make sure that they show up here, if only for posterity's sake. One of the reasons I started this blog, after all, was to have a centralized collection point for the various detritus that I normally leave scattered across the net. Scraps of posts and ideas and comments left in my wake like the shattered wreckage of a trailer park, and subject to wipes and deletion by people out of my control. Here, it might be a lot lonelier than your average forum but I at least wield the final cut - no one else can tell me what I can and can't say here (Within, you know, reasonable boundaries like, say, the law.).

What I'm saying is that the posts, the comments, the thoughts I've been putting elsewhere, I'll try to make sure also end up here. I will, I think, give them a bit of a time delay. Wait a day or two so as not to splinter the discussion. In other words, look for me to be putting up massive screeds on the state of the game like this list in this space soon.

But not right now. Because, for now, I have to Frenzy.

No comments: