Saturday, April 5, 2008

Script Frenzy: Update the Second

There's a reason my brain has turned to mush lately and that's because I've fired off so much adrenaline that my receptors have to be burning out by now. There are limits to how much pure, unbridled creativity the human body can withstand, after all.

Up to 44 pages now, which if you're counting is two full eighteen page issue complete with their four page back-ups. That's two issues (nearly) in the can and I'm set to begin work blocking out the third this afternoon. Once I get back from class, taking that test I've been studying for, and picking up a new passport thanks to those annoying rule changes.

In other words, I've been busy with other things and I'm still chugging along at a blister 11 pages per day pace. And, at the same time, I haven't been ignoring those others things, either.

Issue #3, if I can get it done, will finish off my first storyline. Since that storyline is the introductory chapter where I set all the wheels in motion, I've always considered it the hardest one. So, now that I've got my process down pat, once I get that done it should all be downhill from here.

After getting #3 set, I think I'm going to go back and fill in some of the holes I've been leaving along the way. As I mentioned the other day, while I have a lot of pages in first, rough draft completely done, don't need to touch them any more status, there are a few (too many for my tastes) where I've left things in a more threadbare condition in order to keep my momentum up. Mostly, these are action scenes which require not a lot of dialog or inventive description. But, instead, a detail rich choreography of who's where and doing what that, somehow, keeps the action flowing from one panel to the next. I know what happens in them but not from what camera angle (so to speak) and with what pacing, so I've often skipped over them to concentrate on keeping the dialog flowing. Time to go back and fill them in or I'll move too far past them and, likely, never get them done.

This week was always going to be a difficult one since I had so many other things I needed to accomplish but, I think, that I've not only managed to complete them but I've done pretty well by my script, too. I am right where I want to be which, given that I mentally penciled in all srts of delays actually puts me ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, it doesn't get any easier from here on out. But I'm crossing mini-finish lines right and left so, for now, all is going well.

No comments: