Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Playoff Update - NHL Style

I've been away but rest assured I've been following the playoffs. Once again, my picks aren't looking so hot (You'd think I'd learn my lesson but, eh.). But, you know, it's the NHL and it's really hard to judge. What's really surprising is how many of the higher seeds made it through to the second round, that just doesn't tend to happen in hockey. Still, I wasn't really all that far off on my picks except for expecting the Nashville Predator to thrive under pressure rather than fold against a good San Jose team – I don't think I realized just how good until now. But I had Dallas beating Vancouver and while it took three shutout games to bring the series there if it wasn't for a disastrous third period in Game Seven they might well have. I went with Tampa Bay over New Jersey, too, and that's another series that went deep and could really have gone either way. Every other series I called correctly. Anyhow, here's what we're left with:


EAST

  • #1 Buffalo vs #6 New York Rangers
  • #2 New Jersey vs. #4 Ottawa


I like the Rangers and, as I'm typing this they're just finishing pulling the series even at 2 wins a piece so it's with good reason, but I thought way back when that they'd run out of steam against the Sabres and I haven't really seen anything to make me change my mind. That series could go the difference but I don't see the Rangers winning. Likewise, I still haven't seen anything to make me like New Jersey more than I did originally. They're a solid team and there's the Brodeur factor but I think Ottawa's just more solid in the playoffs. They'll get a game or two, I think, but I say we're headed for a Sabres-Senators final.


WEST

  • #1 Detroit vs #5 San Jose
  • #2 Annaheim vs #3 Vancouver


I know a lot of people who were freaking out in the fist round when Detroit stumbled against Calgary. But, as I thought, Calgary was the sort of scrappy team that gives the Wings fits – lots of speed, pluckiness, and a goaltender who could go red hot at any moment. Not only that, they were a fierce team at home. But they were also awful away from the Saddledome so, really, that series went just about how I thought it would. And my beloved Wings managed to advance. Unfortunately, the Dallas/Vancouver series didn't. I was really rooting for the Stars because even though they looked like a tougher version of Calgary – one that wouldn't kill themselves with stupid penalties – the Wings had been looking decidedly average. While the Sharks looked fierce. They can outscore the Wings even when that vaunted offense isn't sputtering the way it has been lately. Ah well, my dream of seeing the Wings back in the final was predicated on their getting lucky with the matchups and having an easy series this round. No such luck. In fact, I think while they're going to make it a tight series, they're going down. Which leaves Annaheim who I think are going to buzzsaw through Vancouver – who are really toothless once you get past the Sedin twins – on their way to crushing whoever manages to claw their way out of the Wings/Shark series and the finals beyond.


Of course, ask me again next round.

No comments: