Thursday, May 10, 2007

Because LiveBlogging Worked Out So Well the Last Time...

Wheee!


Going to try laptop blogging while I head to the sports bar and catch the Pistons game. Maybe some of the Sabs/Sens game, too. With any luck, I'll write some stuff and post it when I get home (Why don't you use wi-fi, you ask? Well, you haven't seen the ancient monstrosity I call my laptop. Wireless connections were the stuff of fiction when it was made but, hey, it can run a word processor and that's all I need.).


If you're wondering how my Math final turned out (I wanted to talk about it yesterday but Blogger was out for me.), well, there aren't any synonyms for “crushed” in the English language with the proper contextual flavor. So, I'm feeling pretty confident. I studied pretty hard for it and it seemed to pay off. It wasn't exactly easy but, you know, when I have test and just breeze through it I worry more than if I hit a few roadblocks along the way. But with my final, the few problems I had where I just had no clue how to solve I was able to bull my way through. Figuring out a math problem that leaves you stunned at first is like solving a puzzle, it's great. There weren't too many of those and I had time to double and triple check my answers. And since I came into the test with an extremely high average, I think I'll pull off that A.


Now that class is done I should have some more time to concentrate on writing. Although I think I'm going to sign up for a class or two over the summer, meaning I'll have class not twice a week but more like four or six, so whatever free time is going to be fleeting. I'm planning on going back to school in the fall so as many pre-requisites and such that I can knock out now at the local community college, the less credit hours I'll have to go through eventually. And, you know, it was hellishly boring at times but I liked learning again.


Cute waitress. I have a sense she's being nice to me. I'm feeling my oats so we'll see if we can't have a very late update tonight, indeed. Like, breakfast time update. And....I've just made a jackass out of myself. So much for that.


Well, okay, let's talk a bit about what I've been writing since it sure as hell hasn't been blog posts. I've been trying to fire up the creative juices for the upcoming Script Frenzy since I a) am out of practice writing creatively and b) have never written a script before. My NaNo novel got away from me so I think the best thing to do for June is to keep things simple and unambitious. I'm planning on either doing something really personal or some light sci-fi thing, at the moment. So, I've been trying to work the grand ideas out before hand. So, I've jumped the gun on June and have been working on a movie script just to see what it's like and to work out some of the logistical, format related kinks beforehand. I didn't have a very good plan going in but I was doing something with war and occupation and ambitious overreaching. I've been pretty pleased with the results although since it's gone to a real weird place with cannibalism and religion (Basically, I wanted to write about something really repugnant to me, personally, but to make it respectable and wonderful in the minds of my characters. Take something disgusting and make it beautiful, in so many words. I don't know if it worked but I do know it's veering into some really unpleasant places) I'm thinking it's time to pull the plug. Also, I read part of the script for 2001: A Space Odyssey and beyond noticing the differences between the shooting script and the finished product (Yes, I'm a massive geek.) it got me to thinking. I've been relying a lot on dialog because, I think, I'm pretty strong at it. But film is a visual medium so, I've got this idea that working on something with almost no speaking parts whatsoever will help me work on my descriptive abilities. No dialog, all action, all establishing mood and setting. Could be interesting, anyway.


Game time. Pistons seem a bit flat but, you know, it's early. It's like a hockey game, they need to weather the early storm while the Bulls are pumped up by their crowd and then they can get back to the butt whooping.


You know, I really wish this game was on TNT. Sir Charles is a buffoon and his shtick has worn thin on me but they really do the best basketball coverage.


Um, 10 points in the second quarter and they're down roughly a ton. So much for weathering the storm. And so much for not drinking myself into a stupor – stupid liquor before beer rule, I need the strong stuff now dammit! This is going to be a long night.


It seems the Pistons went into the locker room and realized they were playing a basketball game. It's early in the 3rd and they're clawing their way back into it. They're going to pull even. They're going to pull ahead. And they're going to stick a dagger in the hearts of Bull's fans and this series.


Game over. If the Pistons had even an average 2nd, this game would have been as big a joke as the first two. Monster comeback but, man, they just did it so calmly and methodically, the outcome was never in doubt.

No comments: