Saturday, May 5, 2007

Various And Sundry

Another day of no blogging and the fact that the temperature was a nice, even 70 outside should tell you why. Spent most of the day doing some sorely needed yardwork.


Went through Wednesday's math test while I was watching the Wings game – since it's a scantron thing they let you keep the question sheet which I also use as my scratchpaper. As I expected, there was one question where I just absolutely had no clue how to go about solving. I also noticed a few bonehead simple math errors. Like calculated that 15 divided by 5 was 5. So...yeah. S-M-R-T. I figure I missed five out of the thirty six questions which still puts me around the high 80s. Considering how much I studied for it that's not a bad thing but really not what I'm aiming for. Definitely going to have to study up for the final.


Speaking of the Wings game... Wow, now that's what I like to see. When Schneider went down leaving the Wings with only five defensemen and in a 1 goal hole, I thought the game, and likely the series, was done. But, damn, they clawed back with a strong second period and just handed it to the Sharks in the third. Not exactly how they were playing in the first four games. But if they have another couple of periods like that in them then it looks like they're going to get past the Sharks – with two games left, they only need to win one and while you can never tell the odds have to be in their favor. That would pit them against the waiting Ducks, who swept their series. Meaning another lengthy travel series against a West Coast team that can beat the Wings at their own game.


Talked with my brother today – the one who just graduated. He's staying in Ann Arbor for the summer since his house/apartment/assembly of cardboard crates is paid for through August. Which, you know, good for him. Ann Arbor's a great town and it's really different in the summertime when the majority of the college crowd has cleared out. Let him have some fun while he's searching for a job. Like most people, he's finding that Michigan isn't the best job market so he's looking for something out of state. At the moment, he's working on something in Boston through a professor contact of his. Anyhow, he noticed something I like to call the “Red Wing effect” happening. Whenever there's a daytime Wings game, by roughly a half-hour after it's over half the neighborhood will be out mowing their lawns or otherwise doing the chores they put off during the game.


In the other playoff game, well, the Pistons smoked the Bulls. One game does not a series make and it's not like the score is cumulative but I think that serves very good notice that the Pistons are not the Heat. They are going to put up a fight. The sports writers of America seem to believe the Bulls are the team to beat here but, really, I'm not surprised by just how efficiently Detroit managed to dismantle them. People, I think, underestimate just how good Detroit is. They nearly cracked 100 points even going stone dead on offense in the 3rd. More importantly, they held Chicago in check even while they couldn't score. Deng had a good game, though, which was not what I was expecting. I figured the Prince/Deng match-up to be more in Detroit's favor. Still, Billups and Rip ran whoever was guarding them ragged, and that's good as I think that's where they have a real edge.


Also, spent some time today reading some scripts. I gather this is what you should do when you're trying to write one. As you might expect, there are lots of great resources on the web for such things. One I've found to be quite useful is DailyScript which features, well, a daily script. Like today's for Almost Famous. Interesting stuff.


So, that was pretty much my day. We'll see about getting some actual content up tomorrow.

No comments: