Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Bringing Up the I-Word

The latest jaw dropper in the whole prosecutor scandal doesn't, in fact, involve the prosecutors at all. But it might never have come to light without the much appreciated investigation into that mess (Quick note here: the head of the House Judiciary committee which has played no small part in the Congressional investigations, among others, is John Conyers a House fixture from Michigan. I've had the pleasure of meeting Representative Conyers and he's every bit as impressive in person as he's been since the Democrats gained control of the Congress. I don't believe he would actually be my representative if I was still living at home – where I might or might not be able to vote still, I'm not clear on the issue - that honor goes to Carolyn Kilpatrick, head of the Congressional Black Caucus and the mother of Detroit's current mayor. Either way, I feel proud.). The blogosphere's been buzzing about the relevations in Deputy Attorney General James Comey's testimony yesterday. I've taken the time to review the tapes and transcripts myself and it's damning stuff.


And I'm in full agreement with Mr. Greenwald's opinion. This not only dregs up the dormant NSA eavesdropping scandal, it's a grand indictment of those reporters who should have been covering this sort of thing all along.


I thought it when I first heard about the NSA scandal but with these racing to the hospital shenanigans and the surprisingly principled stance by John Ashcroft of all people (We're not exactly talking wild eyed liberal here. If Ashcroft is telling you you're overstepping legal bounds with some law enforcement techinques then you've really got a problem. He not only said so, but Bush ignored him and went ahead anyway.) it's clear that the president committed a crime. He didn't bend the rules, he didn't interpret something in his favor, he didn't just push the boundaries, he broke. The. Law.


I mean, I think I've known this all along but I've been pushing the sickening realization that the head of my government is a crook to the back of my mind because of the even more sickening realization that, no matter what, no matter how far he overstepped the bounds of propriety and the constitution, those 28 percenters would be defending him.


It's not likely to happen, the Democrats will never muster the votes or the courage to get it done, and the media would eviscerate them for even trying. But, honestly, if illegally eavesdropping on the American public (And maybe not just with the NSA program alone.) isn't an impeachable offense, what is?


At a certain point, a line has to be drawn. Not because of how destructive this administration has been but because an example needs to be set. Lest future administrations – Republican, Democratic, or otherwise – use the Bush policies as precedent. The clock is running out on their time in office but the ripple effects are going to be with us a long, long time indeed.

No comments: