Wednesday, November 15, 2006

NaNoWriMo Blogging Three

And now the part I've been dreading. Because, yeah, I've finally got something from my novel I'm not afraid, so much, to share. And I've been talking and thinking about the creative process so much lately, trying to offer and buy advice, I might as well shop my own wares and see if I actually know what I'm talking about.

It's completely out of context, but I think it's a nice little moment that shows a lot of character, plot, and development and all those other things writers talk about when they sit around in a circle and tap their drums. If you've ever played a round or twelve in high level competitive PvP circles then this shouldn't look all that unfamiliar to you (If I'm doing things right, anyway). If you haven't, well, I'd have to explain my characters and my world and my mechanics and everything else to get it right and well and proper. But suffice to say it's coming at the tail end of a message board discussion about where a group of my characters are going next, so to speak. The rest takes place in a "chat" "room" of which you might have heard tell. I've included the last metatextual board post that I've bothered to write - that's the big block of text at the beginning - and my liner notes, so to speak, if nothing for the pleasing fact that, all together my word counters inform me it works out to "711" on the dot. When fate like that happens, you don't argue.

No title. Names, dates, and faces are subject to change at my whimsy. But, well, I think the band's finished warming up so let's start the show:

R: Um, okay, let me see if I can’t put that into terms I can understand. We want pressure, not spike. We want to run the marathon, not the sprint. We want to throw a series of punches, not one great big one. Which, if our experiences in Gory tonight[1] are any indication, is going to be a fuck load of pain. Granted, Gory is nothing compared to clan v clan but I think we’re on to something here. // [1] – Undefeated without a Monk. Ran with four Fighter tops with mixed bottoms. Wraith had a beastie but he always does and Land was two-gunning but, then, he’s a scrub with a new toy so what do people expect, pretty much every other Fighter was a Ranger sub anyway tonight which isn’t surprising. I was rocking the Paladin Fighter/Monk, and we mostly ran with Lou Lou Belle who was pimping his/her Fighter/Sorcerer weapon buffer, which, fyi Land and his two pig-stickers just loved. So don’t worry you paranoid strat freaks, we gave away nothing, NOSINK! Just practicing the Pikemen dance. Just imagine what we could have done if we’d put any thought into our builds beyond “um, hit them with pointy sticks, right?”.

(IRC?)
\Lou Lou Belle has left the channel\
R: Later, homes. Stay black and crazy. And since you’re white, just stay away from me.
R: Dammit, that was a good line, too.
R: Ah, talking to myself again.
R: You know, you’re only crazy if you answer.
\Heidi NotAHo has entered the channel\
R: Heidi. Felicitations.
H: ARGH!!!
R: Frustrations?
H: Freaking Koreans can suck my tits until their teeth fall out.
R: Consolations.
H: So, what’d I miss?
R: Lou, for one thing.
H: Aw, little lulu? That guy’s a nut.
R: Yeah, we were ripping it up Gory style.
H: Dang, I coulda been pwning Monkey paw.
R: Heh, sorry, this was a Fighter only party. No wimpy casters allowed.
H: WTF? You classist bastard! Separate but equal, huh? What’s next, Magic-only drinking fountains?
R: Haha. Right, I’m the intolerant one Ms. Koreans are teh uber gosu fer sure.
H: Tell me what happened? You really went no Monk?
R: Totally balls to the wall, flying without our pants, commando raiders. Me, Wraith, Land, and Lou.
H: lol, really? He kinda got pissed at me for beating his ass at StarCraft.
R: Didn’t seem all that upset. I think he’s too geeked out about our latest HB build.
H: What, the dual wielding thing?
R: Well, that, but…
R: Oh, right, you skipped out before things got really good.
H: Good how?
R: Well, Lady showed up for her daily pity party.
H: Yeah, real sorry I missed that. \cough\bitch\cough\
R: Heh, yeah, it was, just…she’s got to let that shit go sometime, you know? Anyhow, it was what came afterwards that was interesting. Apparently, she’s been tinkering with a mana managing Mentalist build. Sage’s running with it and might just have figured out a way to solve that mana problem you were talking about.
H: No shit? Cause, last gather I had serious mana crunch issues.
R: Check out the thread on member’s only.
H: Checking…
R: I think you’re going to have a happy.
H: Endless mana does make me all wet, yeah.
R: Are you seriously making Land wear your panties?
H: Making? I can barely stop him from doing it as it is…
R: Where were all the girls like you when I was in highschool, huh?
H: I dunno, probably not in your basement playing DnD.
R: Ouch.
H: Let’s see drama…. Drama… More drama… The usual percentage of bad jokes by Ross…. Oh, hello.
R: Don’t forget the pop culture references. Without those I’m but a hollow shell of a man.
H: Have I mentioned how much I love you guys lately?
R: No, but you did promise to mail us all a pair of panties so that we could wear them as helmets for our next drunken dungeon raid.
H: Infinite mp and I’m going to be able to Wrath out?
H: <- happygasm R: I’ll wait for the afterglow to subside before we continue then, shall I? H: My Monk fu will be strongest! H: Also, Drizzit. Hee!

No comments: