Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Look upon my works ye mighty and despair

Oh, yes, I’m feeling more than a bit grandiose tonight. Novel’s going well. Breezed past the 35k mark and I’m within spitting distance of 40k (Again, that figures a bit on the high side as it includes some junk text but I’m not too worried). As foretold, the 35k mark is magical and I can feel the bits and pieces coming together in my mind and on the page. At this point I’m worried that I’m not even going to have a complete manuscript by the time I crest over 50,000. There’s a lot I haven’t done yet and if I write like I have (and I’m not about to shift styles) then I’m going to blow past the mark before I can connect everything. Since I’m making a mad dash to toe the finish line just as the ending bell goes off, I’m not sure what I’ll do, I doubt I can get much more than 50k done by the deadline. 50k is an accomplishment but I wanted to write a *book not just a lot of pages. I might or might not have a problem with turning in what I have and “winning” if it’s incomplete. Eh, again, getting ahead of myself and I’ll worry about that on Thursday.

Anyhow, earlier today I made a mention – to myself, anyway – of a logical technique called dialectic. It’s something I do a lot of although not in the formal sense and it’s something I’d like to explore further when and if I have the chance. But the idea of starting with two contradictory and mutually exclusive positions that can somehow be brought into harmony is something I first encountered in those strains of Buddhist thought the hold every and anything is fleeting and undergoing constant change. A view that cleaves very close to my own understanding of things. But its one of those big three of the trivium and its desire for synthesis and the resolution of conflicts through rational means is a powerful lure for me. Would be a nice tool to have in the toolbox.

Also, since it looks like my mad attempt to write a novel might actually be successful I think it’s time I start to consider just how I’m going to reward myself for all that hard work. My only question at the moment: Paragon/Dervisher or Dervisher/Paragon?

Outlook: Pen’s scratching, heart’s pumping, eyes are open. Yeah, I’m doing this.

[1] – Call it 10 minutes.

No comments: