Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hail to the Victors!

How am I handling it, you ask? Oh, drink. Lots of drink.

Rimshot, please.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be crying myself to sleep now. Quick analysis of the game: OSU’s five wide receiver set took Michigan off guard and kept them off-balance for long enough to build a lead. Michigan came out throwing and stayed a little too long with the pass to try to catch up. Their drives to begin the first and second halves showed they could move the ball they just had little luck at other times – thanks to the front lines being consistently beaten at times - and were unable to capitalize on backbreaking turnovers. In short, Buckeye gambles tended to pay off, Wolverines’ didn’t, and the Maize and Blue just weren’t able to take advantage of the mistakes along the way. A bit higher scoring than I imagined – but not by much (I was thinking maybe 70 for a combined total) – I think the focus on each team’s defense led people to ignore the fact that their offenses mostly played with comfortable leads the entire season. They were both capable of putting up a lot of points when circumstances required even against some of the best defenses around, it’s just they never had to before, really. Still, no excuses here. My team got beat. On the field where it matters. As I said, well, way back when the world made a bit more sense now that the game is over I wish the Buckeyes nothing but the best in the championship. Get out there and win one for the Big 10, guys. As for the Wolverines, well, since they lost it’s out of their hands but, well, they might still be #2 at the end of the season so there’s nothing left to do but hope for a rematch on a neutral field (Which, with Rutgers going down is but one step closer to reality). And make sure no one forgets one hell of a game.

Didn’t get too much done today, blogwise, that is, as I was busy with other things, obviously. But I’ve a feeling that I’m about ready to smash my record of 10 posts in a day tomorrow if all goes well. Just a lot of things kicking around in my skull waiting to be let out. And, well, no promises but some things I’ve been keeping around on the backburner have started to heat up, too.

Went over to Kevin’s place to pin up my contribution to his little contest and there was this:

Commentor Sausaletus Rex wrote a damned good piece on the Sunk Cost fallacy and how it applies to creative people. He goes into detail, but the gist is thus: writers, artists, editors - cut your losses when you can.
My thoughts, in rough order “Holy crap, I’ve been reading that site since I don’t know when and that’s MY name! Right there!” and “1 down, 2 to go!” You see, according to the fine folk at Technorati, the average blog has about 3 backlinks. And those places have been around for roughly 33 more weeks than I have. So, if I want to say this place is doing well then I need to get two more people to throw me a bone. I know Mr. Church would get that - he’s a businessman, after all. Nice and I’ll certainly have to make a point of thanking him for the link but certainly no time to rest on my laurels, just time to refocus, re-energize, and re-emerge better than I ever was. You know, just like any other day, in so many words.

Since I’m starting to get noticed, a bit, I think tomorrow I’ll try and comb through my “massive” archives and see if I can’t point out a few gems to people unused to how I roll. With the holidays coming up and all I believe I’m going to make a real, concerted push on my novel next week. It’s getting a bit embarrassing at this point, you know? So, my output might tail off or it might explode in another direction, never can tell.

Outlook: Drunk. Completely drunk.

Back to the alcohol mines for me, in other words. But, admit it, this Stuart Smiley crap is wearing a little thin, isn't it? Oh well, don't worry. I've got a little plan I like to call "counter-motiff". Blogging ends!

[1] - Time measure device all kind of blurry, swimmy right now. Me no thinky right any ways. Guess, oh less than 24 hours?

No comments: