Monday, November 27, 2006

NaNoWriMo Blogging Eight

Okay, I'm going to cheat a bit now and post another excerpt from my novel. I mentioned yesterday that I was getting into the PvP portion of my text. And here's a portion of a particularly tense fight that I like as it's what lets me join the Trebuchet Club. I've yet to add the "he said"/"then she said" stuff so the letters are there just to help me tell who's speaking when (8 speaking parts, it can get a bit confusing even though I try to give each character a distinct voice.) . To set the scene a bit, my characters are all talking with each other through a voicechat program - Ventrillo or Teamspeak, it doesn't really matter. So they're actually talking rather than typing at each other, for once, and that's changed the dynamics a bit, I hope. They're involved in a battle against another team of players (8v8 or clan vs clan) and things haven't quite been going their way. My little clan of main characters has done well just to be barely holding at this point but things are about to shift in their favor:

R“Fuck it! Mogo’s not healing.”
LH: “What the?”
R“Repeat: Mogo’s not healing. He’s pure Wrath.”
S“That’s four casters they’re throwing at us then.”
C“Fuck load of DPS.”
R“Lady, switch to Nancy, he’s their only healer.”
L“On it.”
R“Keep him out of it and we can roll the rest.”
W “Switching to a sore.”
C: “Right, see if you can’t throw off their damage, Wraith. Wrath blaster or lightning bug, just take whatever you can get. We need to buy some time to regroup here. Lady, focus on keeping that Monk pinned down.”
L “Just keep me alive. She’s way in the back, I’m going to have to get in deep.”
H: “I am running out of mana. Big time.”
C: “Just hold the shrine until Joe’s back up then we’ll pull back to base.”
S: “You don’t want to p-p-press up?”
C: “Not with you and Land down for the next minute.”
J: “15 seconds.”
C: “We can’t hold this position, I just want to avoid any more deaths here. We’ll regroup at base, figure out how to switch up our tactics and bust out.”
R: “Just make sure we don’t lose the treb. We don’t want to get penned in.”
S: “Forget getting penned in, we’re down to our last c-c-couple rocks.”
R: “Can we just pull back to the gates?”
J: “I’m up, I’m up! Buffing. I’m going to need some help here.”
W: “They’re on him.”
H: “Gotcha Joe.”
J: “I’m drained. Oh oh em.”
C: “Lan, Sage, give me a timer check. How long until you’re back.”
R: “Start pulling back, people. Slow and steady, no need to rush.”
LH: “Just under a minute, boss.”
S: “C-c-couple seconds behind Land.”
J: “Lady, you’re getting out of range here. If you want healing start heading back now.”
R: “C’mon you fucker.”
C: “Okay, we fight at the gates.”
L: “They’re going to get the shrine.”
C: “Doesn’t matter at this point. We need some breathing room.”
R: “Got ‘em! Bongo’s down. Heidi, get out of here, start running towards base, I’ve got your back.”
C: “Lady! Forget the Monk! We’re out of here.”
S: “They’re only one up.”
C: “Yeah, but we’re down two and our Monks are overtaxed. We’re going to head back, protect our mine, and we’ll figure out where we want Wraith at. Then we’re going to bust back out and take the shrine.”
H: “So I just stop healing?”
J: “No, just keep in the back and we’ll stagger towards our base. Keep up the healing we’re just looking to hold them off not score kills at this point.”
H: “Oh, okay.”
R: “Delaying action not a full retreat.”
L: “They just capped the shrine. Looks like they’re pulling back themselves.”
C: “Could be a feint. Let’s play it cool until we’re back at full strength here.”
R: “A feint? From will?”
C: “Stranger things have happened.”
L: “Nope, they’re opening their gate. Alright, I’m heading down the side path, I’ll meet you at the gates.”
R: “They must be hurting, too. How many kills do we have so far?”
S: “Almost even. Six-eight, maybe.”
L: “Got a Fighter trailing me.”
LH: “About to rez. Lure him towards the rear gate, I’ll pound him.”
L: “Sigh, if I had Etherial Distortion or this wouldn’t be a problem.”
C: “Okay, Sage you help out Land, then the three of you head back to the main path and retake the shrine. The rest of us, we’re going to push up and get their trebuchet.”
LH: “You want us up with you when we’re done?”
C: “Yeah. No, wait, Sage stay back just in case they try to ninja the shrine out from under us.”
S: “Roger.”
Anyhow, from there they manage to trap the other team and finish them off, winning the battle. I'm a bit concerned at this point that in almost all my long PvP matches I have my characters winning so I'm probably going to have to throw them a curve.

No comments: