Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Guild Wars: Wiki Move


So, the unofficial wiki has moved. They've been sold, bought out, or whatever the sorted details are by Wikia, a conglomeration of various wikis from across the digital wastes. Chaos has, of course, ensued as the recriminations fly.


I've been keeping a watchful eye on it. Having been involved, somewhat, with the rapidly rising costs and increasing demands of that sort of product in the past, I'm not exactly opposed to someone cashing in all their hard work. On the other hand, having taken part in the kind of shady, seat of the pants, backroom deals involved in those sort of endeavors, forking over a non-commercial site because someone backed up the Brinks truck doesn't sit quite right. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other because, as I've watched the issue unfurl on various talk pages and message boards, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I use the wiki, from time to time, probably more than I should, but there's the official wiki now. And ever since that went up, I've figured the unofficial one was going to fall into trouble one way or another.


No, what fascinates me here are the copyright issues. The copy left issues involved in the various licenses and agreements that are being brought up as the lawnchair lawyers stake out their own pieces of intellectual property. The increasingly pressing question of just who owns this stuff. How is it, can it even be, transferred? Or are collaborative, open projects like a wiki doomed to fall into a tangled mess of conflicting claims and rights? Interesting times, indeed.

No comments: