Friday, September 14, 2007

The Jap Loves It: This is Even Funnier In Context

I somewhat let my love for this show slip earlier. But, recently, someone clued me into a show called the IT Crowd. I'd heard of it before, especially that it's being imported to the States as a part of what I fear is an increasing trend towards geek chic (Check out, for example, the excerable Big Bang Theory and tremble in mortal fear as your soul is crushed.). It was, perhaps, inevitable, but I'm a little leery about the cultural ascendancy of the nerdcore being co-opted, chewed apart, as the latest fad and then thrown aside for the next big thing (Like, say, luchadores.). Instead of, you know, being a broad-based movement towards a culture that respects expertise and competence and passion instead of vapid ennui. Or at least a way to pawn off playing way too many video games as being cool.


So, I hold out little hope for the American remake. The original British version, on the other hand...



I don't know. It's going to be on NBC, the same network that remade the Office. If you'd asked me up until after the first few shows, I would have said that was a mistake, too. If they can come up with scenes as loopily surreal as that one without simply aping the original scripts then it might be worthwhile.


That scene, by the way, is even better in the course of the episode which begins with Jen, the appealingly down to earth redhead (Unlike the bleached blond goddess that's sure to show up in her place in the American version.), being strangely attracted to the too-small pair of shoes which cause a crippling foot injury. Which explains why she's stalking around barefoot. What it doesn't explain the reasons behind the killer bit about the fire and the boss being so concerned with her stress levels. You can, however, figure those out for yourself as you can see full episodes on YouTube, including the one, “Calamity Jen”, that clip is drawn from.


I have, of course, watched them all by now. I'm not normally one to flout copyright laws so thoroughly but since the series is overseas and unlikely to be released here thanks to the remake, I'm okay with it. Also, I should add, seeing all those episodes has made me much more enthusiastic about the chances of the American remake – good advertising, the way these things can be used for. I should warn, though, in addition to the screwy aspect ration, the second season episodes really go off the rail for me. The first season isn't perfect, either, but the good bits really make up for it. The second one, on the other hand, has really lost me by replacing the boss with his ne'er-do-well son whose diet seems to consist entirely of scenery. Which doesn't work very well since you've already got the blustery set destroying buffoonery of the Irish geek. Victim of its own success? Drawn down creatively by the American exportation? Can't tell but it just doesn't feel quite the same.

No comments: