Thursday, September 13, 2007

Credo: These Things I Believe

I believe I don't hate America.

I believe I'm not a traitor.


I believe the United States is the greatest country ever.


I believe democracy is the worst form of government except for every other kind.


I believe my country is sick and not getting any better.


I believe that the Iraq War was a mistake and is a disaster.


I believe that it's our disaster and we, as a nation, bear the ultimate responsibility for what happens because of it.


I believe, though, that there's no hope of it getting any better, no chance that anything we do will matter at this point, and the best thing to do is end our involvement and see to our own borders.


I believe President Bush will do everything in his power, including lying and misleading the public, to keep that from happening.


I believe the Democrats in Congress have fiddled while Rome is burning and, unless they can show some spine, they're going to pay the price for it.


I believe we're worse off today than we were six years ago. Less safe, less prosperous, less influential, less able to give our children a better future. Less.


I believe my country shouldn't be torturing people.


I don't believe these views are contradictory.


I believe the Constitution gives me not just the freedom to voice these opinions but also the responsibility. That, as a citizen of a government formed by me, of me, and for me, it's my duty to let those representing me know what I think about the issues of the day. To force them, if need be, into action to take care of those issues. Because it's my country. And if it's wrong, that reflects poorly on me.


I believe I could do more to make my voice heard.


I believe in the separation of church and state.


I believe it's been way too long since I've been to church. And it'll be even longer before I go back.


I believe in evolution.


I believe we have problems.


I believe that there are solutions to our problems.


I believe we can find them if we look hard enough, work long enough, and are open-minded enough to embrace them.


I believe we've come a long way.


I believe we've got even further to go.


I don't believe I'm a racist.


I don't believe I'm a sexist.


I believe I probably lied at least once there.


I believe there's something more to life than getting rich, getting more stuff, and getting old.


I believe I've said enough for now.

No comments: