Sunday, October 14, 2007

The E-King is Pleased

Yay, Clammy's not dead! As I believe I stated earlier, he had a child and as anyone who's done so knows that means a massive personal time sink. Good to see that the world is now more gamer-spawn richer. And even better to see that the father might be expending less effort on meaningless things like parenting and getting back to providing me with the occasional smile.

But, since I'm horrible about checking RSS feeds, I might not have noticed if I hadn't bumped int the always charming Brinstar at the NaNo site (Learning from previous events where gaming threads for places like WoW or RO quickly overwhelmed the Clubs and Groups subforums, they've got a place set aside for them this year and, sure enough, there's a thread for Guild Wars addicts.). And followed a link from her site - which is generally a nice place to visit and I keep meaning to find an excuse to comment/link to it which I think I just have - to this blast from Clammy's past. The guide, full of tips and advice for those trying to get into PvP, is a great resource, something I'd point anyone interested towards. But it also, as Clamatius would be the first to admit, no where near comprehensive. Which just reinforces what a massive investment getting into the PvP scene truly is. It's something the game has never addressed, has always needed to address, and probably never will. But unless you're willing to spend long, frustrating hours getting better, the road into PvP is a rough one, full of trips and traps, and really unfriendly to the uninitiated. Which is a real shame given how wonderful and interesting the Guild Wars PvP system is. Unlike a game such as Tabula Rasa that tries to get chocolate in the peanut butter only to wind up with some other, vastly less flavorful, brown substance, Guild Wars manages to combine some of the better aspects of FPSs and RPGs into fast paced but still strategic combat. But very few people get to that point because of all the hurdles placed in the way. Blame it on the MMO trappings, I guess.

No comments: