Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Rain Today

Had class tonight and a burning desire to watch some hockey with other people so I had to venture out into the elements. To use a hoary old cliche, it's not fit out for man nor beast. Or at least was, now that I'm safely in the warm the vertical lake I was forced to drive through seems to have cleared up.

Ah well, while I was driving through the misting spray from other cars, defrosters working overtime because it's still too damn cold out for spring, observing the outside world only through a few small windows cleared of fog, navigating only by familiar landmarks, I came to the realization that it was a bad night to loan out the crossover I normally drive and borrow someone else's tiny Honda. Now, don't get me wrong, I like that kind of car just fine, but it feels like an engine strapped to an set of aluminum crumple zones - lots of pickup. It rides a lot lower than I'm used to so it feels like I'm dragging my ass over the ashvault at 50mph. Or whatever speed I was getting up to, it was one of those "the speed limit is how fast the car in front of you is going because you damned well can't see the lanes or the signs" driving situations. That's not exactly a fun feeling when the roads are slick, you're not sure of just how well you can stop, and you're surrounded by the brakelights of half a dozen SUV monoliths as you cruise down the freeway hemmed in by canyons of steel. I thought you'd like to know that.

Anyhow, lots of good hockey so far tonight. The Preds look to be makin a game of it at the moment. While the Sens just hammered the Penguins, like I expected they would. Dallas/Vancouver looks to be a tight match, too. At the moment I've got my laptop set up and I'm about to keep an eye on those games while playing one of my own. Life, she is good tonight.

Oh, and flipping through the channels because, you know, I'm not missing the Daily Show no matter who's playing, I caught a bit of tonight's South Park. They were doing a 300 parody, if you can call it that, and, yes, it was about as bad as you imagine. So, yeah, that whole thing's just moved from becoming a tolerable, if overused reference to a played out fad.

No comments: