Monday, April 9, 2007

Guild Wars: The Hero Battle Ladder

I haven't talked much about the Hero Battles and their new ladder. And it's for a very good reason. Can't stand the format. Don't think it brings anything to the game. And, if anything, detracts a lot from what makes Guild Wars special. I had a passing flirtation with it and, you never know, but for the moment it's over.


However, there are undeniable games being played and it, hopefully, takes some measure of skill to be able to micro and abuse the AI of Heroes better than the next player. As a veteran of countless Arena battle,s I'm not exactly going to write a format off just because it's not “high end”. Sure, GvG is more complex and, deservedly so, more rewarding to play and succeed in but that makes it different not better. No, I think having tried the format and experienced it I'm qualified to say it's not for me, but that doesn't mean it's not for anyone. Or that those efforts being put into it aren't worth examining. I know a few people, after all, who are hooked on it and spend as much time playing in the HB when they have nothing better to do as I do laughing it up in the RA.


Anyhow, a quick glance at the Hero ladder shows that even with the higher k value, the person holding the top spot, someone named Java Is An A, has run away with it. When I looked they'd played 231 battles and had 424 rating out of those. That's a blistering 1.8PPG pace while most other in the top 10 are around the 1.0 mark. However, I'm not exactly sure that's cause for praise. In fact, it's pretty much what I was afraid of with this ladder – the top player on it is someone who can spend enough time to play over 200 matches in only four days. Granted, it was the weekend and they've got a stellar win-loss ration in those games but that's still nearly 60 games a day. There's just no way a casual player like myself can compete with that. Not without, you know, HB obs mode, anyway. So, it's seem to be rewarding unhealthy behavior. Yeah, I think I'll be staying the hell away from the HBs.


One thing I did note with interest, though, is that I actually know someone in the top 10. We're not exactly good friends or anything but somebody I've dealt with and talked in the past and it's good to see them doing well sort of thing. I'm talking about Tony Blair, currently at number 5. Unless I'm mistaken, he's also the guild leader of Cats the Musical. They seem to have fallen on hard times lately – haven't had a ladder game at all since the 3rd and their forum's dead - which is a shame because they seemed like nice guys when I've played with them.


Still, nice to see he's having fun at least. I don't expect to be paying much attention to the Hero Ladder in the future but, you never know, the eventual championships could be interesting to watch.

2 comments:

Lemming said...

Yes, that's Ian. And yes, our guild's pretty much dead. After some spectacular failure in ladder gvg recently, it looks likes our core is going separate ways.

I still haven't found a guild for ATs. -.-

Sausaletus Rex said...

our guild's pretty much dead.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thought I saw you on IRC a few times with an "lfg" tag and all. Rough but, you know, happens.


I still haven't found a guild for ATs


I hear ya. And let me know if you find a place. OoX is drying up, too, and I'd rather gnaw my arm off than go to another division. One of the things I promised myself this go around was that I'd avoid staying in a bad situation in hopes it got better - I think that gave me no end of trouble last time around - so if I could find greener pastures I probably would have bolted already.

Still, the real ATs won't get started for real until May which means you still have a few days to get in guild before you'll be screwed by the 14 day waiting period.