Monday, March 31, 2008

Mythos: Newsletter

Yeah, just like I've stopped playing Guild Wars, I've pretty much stopped playtesting Mythos, too. Can't exactly put my finger on why. Except that, maybe I got tired of the leveling grind exceptionally fast.

More likely, though, it has to do with some fundamental disagreements with the designer's vision. There's something about the overall picture that I don't like but I can't put my finger on exactly what.

Anyhow, the other day I got a newsletter in my e-mail and I thought I'd pass along the news. Not only has the Mythos website undergone a slick overhaul but the game's been patched. Releasing a new zone along with a new race, crafting, and PvP options and a host of other options that you'd be better off reading in the patch notes, really.

But, I think, the PvP option illustrates where the game and I part ways. Although it's an opt-in system which means you don't have to take part in it, the idea of a world where eveything and everyone is out to get you is not one that appeals to me. Especially not if you're penalized for being ganked by the blood-thirsty maniacs to whom that type of place will appeal. But that's just not the kind of game I want to play even though I'm not entirely sure why.

It just seems like such an obsolete way of gaming. Something straight out of the Ultima Online era that's better left in the past. A way of designing games so they punish players, make things harder for them, rather than making things easier and simpler and more forgiving.

In a casual game - one that's free to download and play - that just seems like the wrong way to go. And, I don't know, maybe I just don't feel like pounding my head against that wall for too long.

It's still worth trying, though. And if it's released, I'd definitely get an account especially since it'll cost me nothing. But with everything else going on I just can't work up the enthusiasm to play.

No comments: